Chapter 8 - Before The Meeting

Dear Internet Diary,

      I look at Jace and then at Tania and Lucas. They haven't noticed us yet, but that doesn't stop Jenny's face from blushing. It's kind of cute that she's attracted to Jace. I brush off what almost happened last night, and walk towards the table. We stop walking when we reach the table. Tania and Lucas are in their own little world, while Jace is the first to notice us. I clear my throat, and Tania says hi to me. "Guys, this is Jenny Crowner Mance. She'll be sitting with us today." 

"Cool. Welcome! I'm Tania and this is my boyfriend Lucas.

      "Hi," Lucas says. "Word of advice, stay away from this one. She'll drive you nuts," he states referring to Tania. Tania playfully scoffs and swats his arm. "Liar. If anything it's you," she states before they go back to talking solely to themselves. I giggle at the pair of them and look over at Jenny. She seems drawn to them. It's like she longs for what they have; what they represent. I guess most girls strive for that kind of affection, but, as of now, I'm more interested in what lies ahead. This only makes me wonder if she's ever experienced anything with a guy before.

      I take my eyes off of Jenny and see Jace looking back at me with the exact same intensity I was just looking at Jenny with. Once again, I'm drawn into his eyes, and the world around us disappears. I'm only brought back by the sound Jenny makes after she sees us looking at each other. Her face falls to the floor. Dang, it! I think in my mind. Now, I must seem like the world's biggest douche. 

      "Jenny, this is Jace." Jenny looks from the floor to Jace. Her face quickly reddens again, as she gives him a meek smile. "Why don't we sit down? You can sit next to Jace, and I'll sit next across from him." Jace throws me a questioning look, but I shrug it off. The best way that I can think of to make up for what Jenny thinks she might have just seen, is to let her start talking to Jace. "Jenny, Why don't you tell Jace about your family? I'm sure he'd be more than happy to comfort you."

      She looks at me with surprise and starts looking through her mind for something to say. Jace throws me yet another questioning look, and I give him the Just-Do-It face. After a few minutes of them talking, I head on over to the lunch line and decide what meal to get. The wait takes so long, that my feet start to hurt from just standing. When I return to the table, I see Tania all alone. "Where's everyone?

      Tania looks up from her phone, and says, "Oh! Lucas and Jace went to change out of their baseball uniforms, and Jenny went to the restroom." I nod my head and sit down next to Tania. "So? You and Lucas are serious?"

       "Yeah. We are," she tells me happily. After a quiet moment, she adds, "I heard you bumped into Jace's chest today. Can't seem to stay away, huh?" Tania nudges me with a big smile on her face.

     "Oh shut up! I don't even know the guy, and neither do you. Plus, Jenny has a thing for him, so I don't want to get in the way." I respond with the utmost sincerity. Tania doesn't take the news well, as she starts to hammer me with questions over why I don't like Jace, and how could I possibly let another girl have him. "First of, Tania, Jace and I aren't anything. Second, I don't like Jace. Third, I just want to eat my food without hearing about Jace. Jace this, Jace that. Jace means nothing to me! And lastly, it's the second day of Welcome Week. It's a little too early to get involved with someone don't you think?" I disgruntledly say. 

      Tania opens her mouth to retaliate but decides to keep her mouth shut instead when she looks behind me. She looks down at the ground, I turn around, and see Jace and Jenny standing behind me. Jace's face reveals no expression, but if I had to guess, I'd say I struck a nerve. A big one. Jenny, on the other hand, is frozen with her mouth agape. Jace moves forward and grabs a wallet from the table. "Forgot my wallet. Bye Tania!" Jace turns around without sparing me a glance. "Jenny, I was meaning to ask you earlier, but I wasn't sure if you wanted to. Do you want to grab dinner tonight?"

      Filled with surprise, Jenny remains frozen. Her face is mimicked both, Tania and I's. "Uh... Are you serious? Like I'd love to, but..." she says hesitantly. "Great! Pick you up at 7. Where's your phone?" Jace says. Jenny hands him her phone, and he puts his details in it. As soon as he's done, he winks at her before walking away. For some reason, it felt like I'd just been stabbed in the back. I knew, that this very moment would come to bite me in my arse later.

Sincerely,

      Melody N. Ravenna

P.S. Do I really have feelings for Jace or am I just making it all up?

Please vote if you liked this chapter!