Chapter 21- Betrayal

Dear Internet Diary,

        I look through my closet and search for a dress. I see my burgundy high low skater dress behind my jacket. I try on me in the mirror and decide this is the dress for tonight. I lay the dress on my bed, gather my belongings, enter my bathroom, and take a quick shower. 

        I slip on the dress and wear the matching heels I found next to my other shoes. I untangle my hair and let it be free. I apply some mascara and some lip balm. I grab my phone, Student ID, and take out some spare cash from my wallet. I text Tania and ask I can use her black clutch. She agrees and I put my belongings in the black clutch.

         I check myself in the full body mirror, that's behind my door, and I smile

         I check myself in the full body mirror, that's behind my door, and I smile. I head out of my dorm and head out to meet Jace in the lobby. I see my next door neighbours getting ready to leave as well. "You look great," one of them says. I smile and thank her. I open the door to enter the lobby and see Jace is talking on the phone with someone.

       I start walking to him, and he quickly hangs up the phone when he notices me nearing. "Is everything alright?" I ask. He nods his head, as he puts his phone in his pocket. I stand there in front of him, and he gets up. "Shall we go?" he asked. "Sure, but how will we get there? You don't have a car." I say as we start heading out of my residence hall. Jace smiles at me and says, "Already took car of it." I can't help but wonder if the person he was talking to had anything to do with his car.

      We reach his Dodge and he tries to open the door for me, but I stop him with my hand."Jace. What's wrong?" I ask him in a concerned manner. "Just family stuff," he tells me. I give him an I-am-not-buying-it look and he asks me to drop it. I nod my head solemnly and get in the car when he opens it again. He jogs around and gets in.

        He sighs before looking at me. "Look Melody. I just don't want to talk about it right now. Alright?" Jace says, "I'm just trying to figure something out, but it has nothing to do with you or anyone else. I just have something to do before we can go eat. Alright?" I look at him straight in the eyes and respond, "I understand. We can eat later."I move to exit the car, but he stops me. "No. I told you we'd go eat off campus, so we're going to eat. My Dad can wait." I nod my head, and we drive off.

       After leaving campus and a few silent moments, Jace turns on the radio and I start tapping my foot. Soon, I'm singing along to almost every song I know. Jace takes his eyes off the road every now and then to see me dancing along. He even joins me at times with a big toothy smile, yet his phone call is still on the back of my mind.

       "We're here," he says as he pulls up to a gated two-story house surrounded by nature. I look at him, and then back at the house with bewilderment. We pass through the black gates once Jace types in the passcode, and I see the Lodge style house. Jace parks the car in front of the house and gets out. I open my door and meet him at the bonnet of his car. I look around once more, and ask, "What are we doing here? Where are we?"