4.

Dex's POV

It's been a couple of days since Ava was admitted to hospital after the car accident and she still hasn't woken up. The doctor told me that she has swelling on the brain and there's a chance that she won't wake up. I hold her hand and look at her as her chest rises and falls with the help of a machine.

Mom walks into the room with Ava's father in the wheelchair. "Has there been any changes since the last time we've been here?"

I shake my head. "Mom, I keep hoping that she'll wake up, but every day she doesn't it hurts me. Our daughter needs her. What am I going to do if she doesn't wake up?"

Mom moves over to me and wraps her arms around me. "She's going to wake up, honey. When she does you can put everything behind you and actually be a real family."

I hope we can be a real family when she leaves the hospital.

Looking at the bassinet next to the hospital bed I see my daughter start to stir. She opens her eyes and starts to cry. I walk over to her and lift her up. "Morning, princess. Are you hungry? How about I get Nan to make you some milk and I'll change you."

Mom opens the baby bag I have on the floor and she pulls out the formula. "I won't be too long." She walks out of the room

Ava's Dad holds his hand out to me. "I'll hold her while you get the stuff out that you need to change her."

"Thank you." I give Faith to him and she looks at him. Pulling out a nappy, wipes and baby powder I place it next to the bag. Then I pull out the mat and place it on the floor.

Ava's Dad gives my daughter to me and I put her on the ground. I unbutton the ones she's wearing and pull it above the nappy. Pulling the tags off on either side of the nappy I take it off her. I clean her with wipes before putting the nappy on and buttoning her up.

I give Faith back to Ava's Dad while I bag the nappy and wipes. I take them to the bin and put it in.

Mom returns with the milk and she gives it to Ava's father who feeds my daughter.

I walk over to the chair next to Ava and take her hand. "Ava, I know you can hear me. Can you please wake up? I don't know what I'll do if I lose you. There's one thing I can't do without you and that's raise our baby alone. She's going to need your guidance as she grows up." I lean my chin on the bed and watch her sleep.

Mom walks over to me and she places her hand on my shoulder. "Son, you should go home and get some rest. Your daughter can't continue to stay here while you wait for Ava to wake up. She'd want Faith and you well rested and taking care of yourselves. If anything happens I'll call you." She kisses my cheek.

Looking at her I say. "You're right. I'll go home with my daughter and start taking better care of myself." I stand up and walk over to the bag on the floor. I pick it up, before making my way over to Ava's father and taking Faith from him. "Mr. Montgomery I'll stop by over the weekend with Faith."

A smile spreads across his face. "I would like that very much, Dex."

I wave at them as I walk out the door with my daughter in my arms.

A few nurses stop me on the way out and tell me how cute she is.

When I get to the car I see Christa with a guy and she laughs at something he said. She looks up and her eyes connect with mine. She says something to the guy before walking over to me. "Hey, Dex. How's my darling sister?"

I ignore her and put my daughter into the car. I buckle her up and step away from the backseat. I slam the door. Turning towards her I say. "What do you want, Christa?"

"I want you to know that my sister will never get her happily ever after because it's something I don't want her to have. She should have helped me when I begged her for help, but she wasn't there for me."

"What are you talking about?"

She leans against my car and folds her arms across her chest. "Let me tell you a story about my dear old sister. After graduation I left home to move in with my older boyfriend, who treated me like a Queen, but when his son showed up more often to the house I realized they were all monsters. I was used for my body and I fell pregnant with his son's child after he raped me. The family is influential and I knew that no matter how much I fought them I would lose. My sister was the one that got me through the days at the hell house. She promised me that she would get me out after her visit with the parents. Little did I know that visit was going to change our lives? The son told me that he killed my family. That's how my father ended up in the wheelchair. My sister forgot all about me and I was left with them monsters until I gave birth to three kids. When I left the house I was never the same and I blame it all on my sister."

"It's not her fault Christa. You need help, but you also need to tell me what family messed you up this bad, that you're willing to kill your sister over it."

She shakes her head. "I can tell you. They're going to kill me."

I place my hand in her arms. "They're not going to touch you, Christa. I'm going to get someone to guard you. It's the least I can do for the sister of the woman I love."

Tears begin to fall down her face. "What have I done, Dex? I tried to kill my sister over something so stupid."

I pull my phone out of my pocket and call one of my top men to guard Christa. He tells me that he can be at the hospital in 15 minutes. I hang up the phone and turn towards her. "You need to tell me about the family that destroyed you and then I'm going to get your kids away from the monsters."

"Frank, Zac and Darren Close."

Shit! That family owns a lot of things in this city. If I attempt to take them head on I could lose everything.

I'm going to take them down for the safety of my future sister-in-law, her kids and my family. I just need to figure a way to do this without getting people hurt because of what I'm going to do. This town won't be the same when the Close's get what they deserve.