14

Two Weeks Later

Dex pulls the car in front of the one story brick house with a ramp to the front door. In front of the house is a rose garden. I step out of the car.

Dex stands on the footpath looking up at the house. When I move to his side he wraps his arms around me. "I brought this place for your father while we were in North Carolina. It's a big place and he won't have any problems going anywhere. I hired a crew to fix this place for your father."

I kiss his cheek. "Thank you."

A removalist truck pulls into the driveway and a group of guys exit the truck.

Dex looks at me. "I need to open the door for them. Stay out of the way, Ava. I don't want you to get hurt."

I nod.

Dex walks over to the front door and opens it.

I see a car pull in behind Dex's.

Christa steps out of the car. She walks over to the boot and pulls out Dad's wheelchair. She sets the wheel chair up and places it next to the car.

Dad opens the door and moves to his wheel chair.

I move toward Dad and Christa.

Dad smiles. "Hey, sweetheart. When did you get here?"

"Dex and I got here the same time as the removal-list. He's in the house putting the furniture in the kitchen."

Dex exits the house with the guys. He carries a bed inside.

Dad holds my hand. "Thank you for coming over and helping with setting up the house."

I push Dad towards the house. "I'm not helping. But, I couldn't miss seeing you move into your new home. I'll order a pizza for lunch." I push the wheelchair into the house.

Christa walks into the house behind me. "I'm going to check-out the bedrooms." She walks to a room down the halls and puts a sign on the door.

"Dad, where do you want to sit?"

"Can we go outside? I want to see the ocean."

Dad and I exit the house and I wheel him to the fence. He turns to me. "I missed seeing the beach when I was put in the home."

I touch his shoulder. "I'm sorry I couldn't look after the both of you."

He shakes his head. "You did the best you could, Ava. When you left your mother and me it was the proudest moment of my life. I didn't stay in contact with you because I would have begged you to come back to us. But, I had to let my little girl go. When you came to us a couple weeks ago you were a woman and a strong one at that. You even came back with a billionaire and a baby on the way." He pulls me onto his lap.

I wrap my arms around him like I used to when I was younger. "I love you, Dad. Thanks for moving to California."
He kisses my cheek. "I didn't have anything else for me in North Carolina. I'm hoping that Christa will find someone her own age and settle down with him."

I smile. "Hopefully she does. I promised her that I'd introduce her to Dex's brother."

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

I shrug. "I don't know. But, I'll find out when the Clarkson's throw another party. I think they might be having a party for Easter." I start to feel nauseous. I rise. "I'll be right back." I run into the house and look for the bathroom. I find it at the end of the corridor. Leaning over the toilet, I throw up.

Why did I agree to do this?

I feel someone move my hair to the side and rub my back. I turn to see Dex with me. I groan. "Why do you have to see me like this?"