24.

I pull my phone out and exit the room. I go through the contacts until I reach Dex's number. I call him.

The answering machine picks up. Hello this is Dex. Please, leave a message after the tone. I hear a beep. "I'm at the hospital." Beep, I get cut off.

The machine cut me off early. I can't believe that happened.

I make my way back to Christa's room. As I get to the door of Christa's room my water breaks.

Great! Now, the baby decides to come and I can't reach Dex.

I feel a sharp pain and scream.

A nurse runs down the hall and she looks at me. Then at the floor. "I'll get you a wheelchair."

I hold my stomach as another contraction hits. I rub my belly. "You have bad timing, princess."

The nurse returns with a wheelchair and I sit in it

The nurse returns with a wheelchair and I sit in it. She rushes me off to the Maternity Ward. At the ward I fill out a bunch of paperwork. I open my purse and I pull out my insurance. I place it on the desk and fill in the details.

I look at my phone and don't see a message from Dex.

Is that meeting running late?

I look at the time and see that it's 3.30 pm. I pull my phone out of my pocket and there's nothing on it.

Why aren't you calling me back?

I try his number again. This time it goes straight to voice message. I hang up the phone.

I'm not going to try him again. He can see me when he gets here.

I scream as another contraction hits.

The nurse takes me to maternity room.

In the room I step out of the wheelchair and I stand next to the bed. The nurse gives me a gown. I enter the bathroom and I put it on.

I don't want to do this without Dex. He was supposed to be with me when I gave birth to our daughter. We were supposed to name her together. I was supposed to hold his hand while I push our daughter out. That's not going to happen now.

I exit the bathroom and make my way over to the chair. I sit in it and prop my feet on the stand.

The nurse asks. "Do you want an epidural?"