Part seventeen

Dan P.O.V.

I breathed in the air that was thick with tension, hearing the tap of fingers pressing down on keyboards and clicking of the mouse. The situation seemed so ridiculous that I bit the inside of my cheek to stop myself from laughing and instead flicked through the channels without the intention of actually finding something to watch because I knew how much it annoyed Phil.

He sighed, "can't you just put something on and keep it there?!" 

"Can't you go edit somewhere else?! All the clicking and noises are bothering me," I retorted.

"Fine, I'll be in my room," he snapped, closing the lid of his laptop and left. I heard his door slam and I shook my head and chuckled at how easily wound up he could get after a small quarrel. 

I was splayed out on the floor with my head resting on the beanbag. I shuffled to get more comfortable but when I was unsuccessful I threw myself down where Phil had just been sitting on the couch and sunk into the warmth he had left behind. I left the TV playing a cooking show but muted it, my attention averted when there was knocking on our front door. 

I groaned as I got up and sluggishly dragged myself over to it, peeping through the spy hole. Instead of seeing one of neighbours like I expected, there was a mass of curls and a man with clear complexion and pale green eyes. My heart leapt and I glanced behind my shoulder in guilt as if Phil had heard it.

I tugged at my shirt to try and myself look somewhat more presentable when I opened the door, smiling at PJ whose lips now held a smirk when before he looked troubled. 

"Peej." 

"Sorry I didn't call... I wasn't thinking straight but I needed to see you," he said, his eyes slowly trailing down to my hips then back up, holding his stare on my lips for a long moment which made me blush, then he smiled as he looked back into my eyes again. 

"It's fine," I looked behind me one more time but the coast was clear. The feelings excitement and nerves made themselves known by turning in spiders, tricking and crawling under my skin. "Phil's here," I whispered.

"Where?" He mouthed back. 

"In his room, editing. He's got headphones on," I replied, keeping my voice quiet. 

"I'll make it quick, I won't keep you long." 

He breezed in and I kept the door open ajar so the sound of it closing wouldn't attract Phil's attention. I leaned against the narrow hall wall with my arms crossed and PJ stood opposite, his observing gaze still on me. I motioned for him to start what he had to say and he cleared his throat, breaking the stare for a second to look at the floor. 

"He knows. Chris knows there's something going on. We just had an argument and I think I've managed to throw him off track for a while. I can be a good liar when I need to be," he looked smug again and stepped forward, brushing some hair behind my ear. 

"What are we going to do?" I asked, my speech giving away that I was totally dumbfounded by his touch. 

He leaned in with both of his hands on either side of my hips and I couldn't help but feel disappointed when he didn't kiss me but instead his lips softly grazed my ear. 

"Can you keep a secret?" 

The sound of his voice made me melt. It was croaky but I could hear his low voice perfectly, and it made the moment seem more private and dangerous. He was being cautious - I could see that from how he watched me when he pulled away but when he saw me with a small complacent smile, he relaxed and his shoulders dropped down. 

I didn't need to say anything in response to his question because I knew that he understood and instead I murmured something unintelligible like 'you're so beautiful' before letting myself slip completely under his spell. 

My hands took their place behind his neck and I pulled him in, unable to wait any longer. My heart was hammering in my chest and I breathed in his scent and I felt alive as an electrifying rush shot through me when our lips crashed together roughly but carefully. We shouldn't have been doing it and could've been caught any second but the excitement of that added to the lust, and his taste was addictive and I wouldn't ever get enough. 

When we pulled away he giggled at the sight of me which I could only assume that I was a flustered mess and he ran his hand through my hair. 

"See you around," PJ murmured, and when he pulled out of our embrace I was met by a gush of cold air, making me miss his warmth. And then he left, closing the door behind him, leaving me dazed and alert and fulfilled. 

I collapsed down on the sofa, the feeling of joy consuming the guilt so that I only felt content, and I told myself I would deal with the consequences later, but right now, I would just let myself love.