VI. Knowing

Elias - One month later

"You still been talkin' to ya mystery girl?" Kenyon asked sipping from his Gatorade bottle.

I shrugged. I still haven't found out who she was and it was playing tricks on my mind. I was tryna match her voice to any and every girl I came in contact with. The closest it ever came to was Carmella or this other girl Asia.

We were waiting for this pledge show to end that the sororities and fraternities were putting on in the quads. I only came to see my little sister step with the AKAs. Everything else was irrelevant.

"Are the Alphas even coming?" I questioned getting impatient. I been getting these stares from people that make me uncomfortable. Yeah, I'm first string running back of a winning team but damn, let a nigga chill.

"They last," Zion whispered back to me.

I groaned and stomped my feet as the AKAs marched onto the grounds not in their normal pink and green. They were in all black with hoods on.

"You act like a three year old, bruh. Eat a Snickers," Zion laughed.

"Ladies! Reveal thyselves!" the leader Armon addressed them making them remove their hoods. I noticed my sister off the bat, but they all had on masks hiding everything but their mouths.

"Imma go down the line! Tell the people what ya name is! You!" she pointed at my sister.

"They call me Pretty Blue baby! What id do baby!," she slightly lifted her mask earning some hoots and hollers.

She went on to the next girl, "They call me H-Tahn where we swang 'rauhn, red candy paint all onna Crown. Queen me bitch," she smirked. The girls surrounded her fanning her and placed a crown on her head like she was actually a queen. She sounded familiar, but I didn't think too much on it.

"Daddy Alabama, mama Louisiana, you mix that negro wit that that Creole call me Country Bama!" Carmella yelled out. A bunch of cheers, mainly from females, erupted.

There were six more females named and they began to step. I watched kinda zoning in and out until they raised their jackets and the one they called H-Tahn had the flower  tattoo running up her side just like the mystery singer. I finally see her. I ain't crazy. I kept my eyes glued to her as she moved and tapped Kenyon and Zion who was on both sides of me.

"Nigga, what?" Zion asked like he was irritated.

"Wifey, bruh," I pointed in her direction.

Kenyon squinted his eyes looking, then smacked his lips, "That's Jade, my nigga. She can't sing."

"Jade?" I scrunched up my face. I never pegged her as a singer. Kenyon don't know what the hell he talkin' about though. It gotta be her. "I bet she can."

"The girl hardly talk, let alone sing. I ain't ever even heard the girl hum," Zion chimed in. "Not even a whistle."

"That's the tattoo, my nigga. I know she can sing," I watched her and the rest of them stop revealing their faces from the masks.

Armon stepped back in front of them, "These are the ladies with heart. These are the ladies with pride. These are the baddest ladies on campus," they swung their hair. She kept making her closing announcement, when the pledge show turned into a sort of kickback.

I walked up to my sister and her friends congratulating them all. "I'm so proud of you, Munch," I hugged my sister.

"Aww, you bein' so nice," she fake sniffled. "Get these thug tears off my face."