IV. Founded

Elias

I had my headphones half on running the treadmill in the workout room. It's like two in the morning and I knew I wouldn't be bothered by anybody else. This is the only time I came out of my room really unless it pertained to school.

"She said, 'I know you got someone who loves you.
She's probably crazy for you, but don't I deserve?'
She said, 'I know. Yeah, I know all about her,
but I put in all these hours.
Don't I deserve you?'" I sang out loud.

Apparently someone else was there with me, because they started singing the chorus.
"And now you wanna come back. Tryin', makin' me feel bad.
Oh, now that I know better;
I gotta do better.
So no, I'm never gon come back.
Even though you deserve that."

I stopped and looked around not finding anyone there. There was a shadow leading to the showers however. I always wondered why they allowed coed public showers. I kept listening as the voice kept humming the song. She sounded good as hell. A little raspy, but very soulful. I peeked around the corner and the singer had her back facing me. All I saw was a flower trail running up her thigh and torso and a bun at the top of her head.

Before I got caught looking, I went to another stall to shower. I needed to anyway. I began singing another song just to see if she was taking my song choice or if she was in her own little world. I decided to throw in a little Sam Smith. It would match her voice.

"And I hate to say I love you. When it's so hard for me. And I hate to say I want you. When you make it so clear you don't want me." I started. It was silent for a moment, but I heard her take a breath and chuckle.

"I'd never ask you cuz deep down I'm certain I'd know what you'd say. You'd say, 'I'm sorry. Believe me. I love you, but not in that way. And I'd hate to say I need you. I'm so reliant. I'm so dependant. I'm such a fool," she kept it going. I wanted her to keep going, but she stopped. I guess that was my cue.

"When you're not there, I find myself singing the blues. Can't bear, can't face the truth. You would never know this feeling. You would never see through these eyes."

"I'd never ask you cuz deep down I'm certain I'd know what you'd say. You'd say, 'I'm sorry. Believe me. I love you, but not in that way.' You'd say, 'I'm sorry. Believe me. I love you, but not in that way.'" we sang together harmonizing nearly perfectly.

"I don't know who you are, but you sing really well," she said after we finished the song.

I smirked to myself, "Thank you. You sing well yourself. What's your name?"

She sighed, "I wouldn't be a mystery if I told you that." I then heard her shower turn off and she started walking toward the exit.

"I'm Eli by the way," I said hoping to stop her. She did for a second and she scoffed.

"We've met before then, Eli."

I tried to follow behind her, but she was already too far gone. I needed to find out who that girl was.

I jogged back to my room after getting dressed and was met with a note on the door.

Maybe one day I'll let you know who I am. Until then, I tend to do shower karaoke about this time every night. You're welcomed to join.

I snatched the note down just in time for Zion to swing the door open. "Nigga! Gina been by here already. You know how hard it is to cover for a darker skinned nigga when you bright as fuck?"