Twenty-eight.

SEVEN-EIGHT || Camila.

It was six in the morning when I slipped quietly out of bed. I hadn't slept very well, and I wasn't about to try and make it happen at this point. So, a run around the neighborhood would do me good. Julien was out cold when I started to get dressed, and he was out cold when I left...I figured I'd leave him be. The air was absolutely freezing as it hit my face, but I'd bundled up appropriately. I ran three and a half miles through the trails near our property, instead of around the neighborhood, solely because I'd missed the gorgeous Louisiana scenery. My jogging slowed down as I neared the small community dock. The beautiful little stone and iron gazebo overlooking the water had always been one of my favorite places to come and just sit, watching the serene surroundings go by in a peaceful blur. And now was the absolute ideal time of day. The fog was still heavy in the air, as the weatherman had predicted it would be all day long. The loon's songs were echoing off the trees as they floated across the water's surface, and I wondered how one place could be so breathtaking. 

I pulled my phone out of my arm band and dialed Damien's number

I pulled my phone out of my arm band and dialed Damien's number. It rang until the last possible ring before he finally answered, his voice groggy with sleep.

"Is this a butt dial?" He grumbled.

"You know, not everyone's still sleeping at this hour, lazy bones..."

"Well, I am and you woke me up." I could hear him smiling through his words, and I found myself doing the same.

"How are you?"

"Sleepy, no thanks to you..."

"Damien!" I scolded, playfully.

"Camila..." He countered back at me.

"I miss you." I blurted out, not meaning for the words to escape past my inner thoughts. I could hear him exhale softly and he took a little bit longer to respond.

"I miss you, Mila."

"What've you been up to?"

"Pretty much, just missing you."

"I'm serious, Damien..."

"So am I." He quipped before going on, "I've been working...cuddling with Annie. You know, the usual."

"How is she?"

"She misses you just as much as I do...maybe even more."

"I miss her. I hope she's not too much bigger when I get back..."

"I don't think she'll grow much in the next few weeks." Part of me contemplated telling him about my argument with Julien, but then I decided against it. It wasn't fair to either of them. "How's the family?"

"They're good. Amelia hasn't stopped bringing you up." He chuckled.

"Maybe I should fly her back here so we can spend New Year's Eve together."