Twenty-six.

TWENTY-SIX || Damien.

I was on my third tumbler of bourbon, and the room was only beginning to spin. An hour or so before, I was walking out of work and I made a very quick decision to go into the Irish pub next door. I knew that I'd have to cut myself off soon, seeing as how Annie was still in her crate at home. However, I didn't want to go home yet. So, I allowed myself one more drink before going home. "Where's Mila?" I turned around to find Natalie, the new copy editor, sliding into the stool next to me.

"New Orleans." I quipped, not wanting to converse with anyone.

"What's she doing there?"

"Spending the holidays with her family." I knew I was coming off as rude, but I'm not sure if she caught on.

"Why aren't you with her?"

"Why would I be with her?" She giggled and ordered her drink.

"You two are so not fooling anyone."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I grumbled.

"Go ahead, play dumb." I figured she'd be drinking a Cosmo. "You're cute together, you know."

"We're not together."

"Sure you're not."

"She's dating my brother." She choked on her drink.

"Wait...seriously?"

"Pretty much, since day one."

"Did you meet her through him?"

"She started working here, she met my brother and then she met me..."

"Your brother works at Pilsner & Wood?"

"He does, yeah. You have his job."

"Where is he now?"

"He's the CEO of the Los Angeles branch."

"Oh! He lives in L.A?"

"Yep."

"Damn..." She took another baby sip of her drink. "So, he went from copy editor to CEO that quickly?"

"Mhm."

"How did that happen?"

"We're Pilsner's."

"Oh, shit! Your dad is..."

"Henry Pilsner."

"I had no idea."

"That was the point."

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Why would you say that?"

"You're just...you don't seem to like me very much."

"I just have no interest in making friends."

"Oh, I see." Fucking finally. "You have feelings for your brother's girlfriend."

"Untrue, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion."

"You're so into her!" I chugged down the rest of the bourbon in my glass and placed a fifty dollar bill on the bar top.

"Have a good night, Natalie."

"Wait, Damien!" I continued walking, not bothering to turn around or acknowledge her. "Hey," She grabbed my arm once I'd stepped outside. "I'm sorry, that was out of line."

"Like I said, have a good night."

"Wait, I'm sorry, okay?" I groaned internally. "I just...if it makes you feel any better, my boyfriend and I just broke up."