Twenty-five

TWENTY-FIVE || Camila.

I watched him in awe as he interacted effortlessly with my family members. I think that's the defining moment, when you can see your significant other as a part of your future...I listened to him talk politics with my father, compliment my mother's cooking, befriend my sister's fiancée...I watched him smile, and periodically, he'd glance at me and I could see nothing but happiness in his eyes. I wanted my future with him to start tomorrow. I wanted our life to start immediately. "I like him...keep this one around." I turned around in the kitchen to find my mom winking at me as she began to load the dishwasher.

"I like him too, so that's the plan." My Mamie walked in behind her, probably ready to refill her glass of bourbon.

"How's my sweet Damien doing?" I rolled my eyes as my mother hip-bumped me.

"I heard about the infamous older brother...what's going on with him?" I decided not to answer her question, instead, I steered the conversation in a different direction.

"Mamie, if you love him so much, why don't you marry him." She was definitely tipsy and this made her laugh.

"Oh, believe me, sugar. If I was a few years younger, I would."

"Oh my goodness..." I groaned.

"Emily, he's such a nice boy. And you can just see the love he has for her...it fills his eyes and you can hear it in the way he speaks..."

"It's not like that...it's not. Damien is...Damien's my friend. We've never been anything more, nor will we ever be."

"She's in denial." My mom just laughed at the batty old woman, whom I loved to argue with.

"Mamie, Julien is in the next room, can we not talk about this, please?"

"Well, speak of the devil..." She held up my phone and sure enough, Damien was calling. The goofy picture we took together covering the front screen. I grabbed my phone from her hands and hurried onto the back porch. This was my favorite time of night. The sounds of the frogs and the crickets, the breeze blowing through the trees, the beautiful reflection of the sky on the water's surface.

 The sounds of the frogs and the crickets, the breeze blowing through the trees, the beautiful reflection of the sky on the water's surface