Nine

NINE

"And ma'am, what would you like to drink?" I had already ordered a glass of Merlot, now it was my Mamie's turn.

"I'll have your strongest bourbon on the rocks, darlin'." Damien's face lit up.

"A woman after my own heart..." They were getting along too well at this point, though it was still comical. "I'll have the same."

"Alright, so two bourbon's on the rocks, a glass of Château la Bienfaisance...will that be all?"

"We have one more person coming, actually." I said, smiling up at the young girl waiting on us.

"Okay, I'll put your drink order in..."

"You know what, make that three bourbon's." Damien went ahead and ordered for Julien.

"And waters all around, please." I threw this in there knowing that water would definitely be necessary.

"Thank you, Sarah." The girl blushed as Damien said her name and I knew exactly how that used to feel, just his tone alone could change the course of your day. Camila, he had practically breathed it and the goosebumps that had run up my spine were incomparable.

"So tell me, baby...when did you meet this fine young man?"

"The first day that I started at Pilsner and Wood, he was running late." I smiled just thinking back to it.

"I was late and you...I saw you and you took my breath away." The smile quickly left my face as his words, his incredibly blatant words, registered.

"I'm sorry I'm so late!" I turned around to find Julien sliding into the seat beside me. Mamie wasn't going to settle for a hand shake, she pulled him up and hugged him.

"Don't you worry about a thing, sweetness. I'm Amelia."

"It is such a pleasure meeting you, ma'am--"

"Oh please, you can call me Amelia. None of that ma'am crap."

"Sorry...Amelia." I could tell she was quickly falling for him just the way she had with Damien. When he sat back down, he kissed my cheek.

"How'd it go?" I asked him quietly, but he waved away my question.

"We can talk about it later." His lips met my shoulder and he smiled up at me. "I love you." I mouthed the words back before we focused back on the rest of our party. I watched the waitress approach and she began passing out our drinks.

"Damien ordered your drink." I commented.

"Bourbon?" He asked, looking at his brother.

"The best in the house."

"Thanks, brother." I felt entirely uneasy, especially with Damien's words from mere seconds before looming over our heads. "So what did I miss?"

"Nothing really, just talking about work and all that jazz." I forced a smile as I tried to avoid eye contact with Damien.

"How was your flight, Amelia?"

"Well, thanks to those mini bottles of airline wine, it went by in a flash."

"Mamie, you drink too much." I teased, luckily finding comic relief in this small bit of truth.

"Oh, sweet pea, there's no such thing as drinking too much. Only too little." Julien made a face at me and I could only giggle.

" Julien made a face at me and I could only giggle