The Bet That Broke Me : Chapter Thirty

As much as I hated it; it was time to face one of my biggest fears. I didn't have a choice. Andy stood with me in the kitchen line. I eyed the different food options as we progressed down the line. Each one making me want to puke.

"Stop looking at it like its going to kill you." Andy whispered behind me. Unable to clear my head I forced my head straight as I reached the end of the line.

A woman waited at the end with a clipboard. Clearly checking something off, "You need another fruit hun."

My eyes dropped to my plate. I already had a chicken salad and an apple. The thought of adding anything else was enough to almost send me into a panic attack. My stomach twisted into knots. Andy's voice popped into my head. "Always behave if you want to get out of here."

Ignoring the weight on my chest I reached onto the counter past Andy. Just as I was about to grab a peach cup, someone else beat me too it. A guy beat me to it. Looking up from the counter I met his eyes. "Beat ya." He tossed the cup up before catching it smoothly.

I turned from him to the lady, "You heard him." I wasn't about to argue with him for it. He didn't know it but he was a blessing. The lady raised a brow at me before turning to him.

"Give it to her Evan." Andy snatched the cup from him before sitting it on my paper tray.

I know she only meant well, but her actions didn't help me in any way.

"You're good to go." I bit my tongue as I headed out of the line.

"Let's eat out front." I followed Andy out of the kitchen and towards the front of the building.

"We are allowed?"

"If you're a favorite you are." I watched as Andy sweet talked the woman in the front office.

"You know the rules Andy. Lunch only then straight back in."

"You got it!" Andy tipped her head before waiting at the door. The woman buzzed us out.

There were three picnic tables out front. One which already had two occupants. Andy joined the two girls, leaving a seat for me next to her. "Girls, this is my roommate and new best friend, Alison."

Only one of the girls acknowledged me. She offered a shy but warm smile. "I'm Alyssa."

"Hi." I returned the smile waiting for the other girl to say something but she never did.

"Well hello again, Alison." The same boy from the kitchen plopped down across from me.

"And this is my dork friend, Evan." Andy nodded towards the brown haired boy.

"More like; charming, hot, sexy friend." Evan tried his best to be sexy but his actions proved his dorky personality.

"Mhm. I see." I humored him.

Finally the second girl decided to say something. "Dinners gonna be done soon. You might want to hurry up and eat." If her tone wasn't so harsh I'd have thought she was trying to be friendly and give me a tip.

"And who are you?" Her right brow peaked up at my response.

"I'm Mel and who are you princess?" Her efforts to be a smart ass didn't really work as well as she planned. Seeing how she asked my name after Andy and Evan both said it.

"Alison. You'd know that if you were paying attention." My attitude not only surprised myself but everyone around us too.

"Well, like I said you'd better eat your food. Ali."

The nickname turned my knuckles white. Every since I hit Amber it was like I had awoken some kind of hidden anger issues. Violence was never my thing but I was so angry recently.