The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Six

"Maybe he was genuinely into you

"Maybe he was genuinely into you." Hailey rolled her eyes at me as I told her about my morning.

Her comment made me roll my eyes back at her, "You know no one around here would ever be caught hanging out with me."

"Well, you said that he's new right? That means he doesn't know anything about you." She paused to take a bite of her chicken sandwich. With mayonnaise on the corner of her lip and lettuce hanging from her mouth, she continued, "Take the chance to make an impression before Amber does." Hailey chomped on her food causing me to look away. She has a point.

I made a face at her, "You're gross." My disgust caused her to chomp louder, and her showing me her food every few seconds. Hailey was definitely pretty, looks she got from Lily no doubt, but I wondered how she kept all these guys while eating and acting like an animal.

Hailey smiled at me, pushing her food onto teeth, irking my nerves.

"Hey!" Kelsey's voice flooded the end of our table. Pulling out the seat next to me, she plopped down beside me.

"Hi." I gave her a quick and light smile to be polite.

Hailey stuck out her tongue at me while responding to Kelsey, "What's up." She closed her mouth after showing me her chewed up food, teasing me. I expected Kelsey to say something or shudder in disgust but instead, she just kept smiling.

"See it doesn't bother her." Hailey brought her chicken sandwich back to her mouth for another messy bite.

She laughed a little, "I have a twin brother. I've dealt with this my whole life."

The mention of her brother brought up painful memories. I had a brother once, he used to tease me as Hailey does. He was gross and smelly except for when girls came over. He used to chase me around the house and make me smell his armpits, it was gross and annoying back then, but I'd give anything to have him chasing me around the house again. Unable to continue thinking about him, I stuffed the thought of him in the back of my brain and focused on Kelsey.

Brother?

Wait, Kelsey is new so her brother is obviously new too. This morning, Jake. That's her brother, "There he is now." We followed Kelsey's eyes to where her brother was standing in the lunch line.

Hailey began wiping her mouth.

"He's cute!" Hailey's eyes traveled down his body.

My cheeks heated in embarrassment. "I was an ass to him this morning." My cold fingers traveled across my cheeks. The girls looked at me confused.

"He was trying to be nice to me and I shut him down because I thought someone put him up to it."

"Well here's your chance to apologize because he's coming over here." Hailey turned back to face us.