The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Ten

My arms were crossed in front of my face like a shield, "You really are just a whore."

"Stay away from him."

I pulled my knees into my chest in the corner of the foul smelling room. The three girls shot nasty looks down at me as they cornered me, the ring leader in the middle. Amber gave me one last look over, "You're pathetic."

I really was.

Here I was sitting in the dirty floor of the girls bathroom, being nothing but a coward. I should have hit her, it's not like she didn't deserve it. Hell, she deserved more. All I wanted to do was pound her face in but I didn't. Instead, I cried and let them push me around like I was their bitch. It was humiliating that she had this much control over me.

"What the hell happened to you?" Kelsey pushed my hair away from my cheek, exposing the fresh purple mark. If she was this mad, how would Hailey react?

I pushed her hand away gently, "It's nothing. I swear."

She huffed, "It's not nothing, just wait until Aiden sees it." Oh no. I completely forgot about him. How the hell was I supposed to explain it to him?

"Sees what?" Of fucking course. I turned slowly to face the confused boy behind me. And beside him was his friends. Eli, Jason and Dylan stood beside him with matching expressions, except for Eli. Instead he wore a boyish smile as she stared at Kelsey, who returned the smile. They look like kids in grade school who had the biggest crushes on each other. They had hung out a few times since these past few weeks after I told her about him. It wasn't my intention to set them up but it was what she wanted even though I knew how it was going to end. I had expecting him to ditch by now but for some reason he was still hanging around her.

As soon as his eyes landed on my cheek I knew there was about to be a scene, "Who the fuck did that?" His hand gently skimmed over the bruised skin of my cheek while I tired not to flinch at his tone. It was harsh, harsher than I've ever heard him be. It was weird. It sounded almost genuine but he played it off well, if I didn't know him I'd have thought he actually cared.

"It was nothing."

"A bruise on your fucking face is obviously something."

Did he have to curse with every sentence? I pulled my face away from his hand, "I'm fine and that's all that matters." He scoffed at my response.

"Who did it?" His eyes burned into mine.

I paused.

"Well?"

What was I supposed to tell him? He wouldn't hurt Amber, right?

His jaw clenched,

"Who did it Alison?"

"Amber." He relaxed his jaw while staring at me hard for a moment. What was he going to do? Before I knew it, I had grabbed his hand in an effort to calm him down. At first I felt stupid to think it would work so when he let out a breath, I was surprised.

"What else did she do? Did she hit you anywhere else?" He pushed my hair back behind my ears so that he could completely examine my face. He titled my chin up to look at my neck.

"No, she just pushed me around and called me names. That's all." It wasn't all.

"What did she say?"

All the names flashed through mind.

Tears filled my eyes as I recalled them, "I don't want to repeat them."

I titled my head back down but his fingers remained on my neck. He searched my eyes intently for the truth, "She's lucky she's a girl." Or lucky because he fucks her and doesn't want her face to be messed up.

Kelsey's eyes locked on someone behind us, "Maybe she's lucky that you won't touch her but that won't keep me from ripping those blonde extensions from her hair. Who the hell does she think she is touching you like that?" We all turned to see who she was sending death glares.

On cue, Amber walked into the cafeteria with Julia and Sarah following behind her. Well one minute she was walking and the next she was being thrown to the ground as someone hit her repeatedly, that someone being Kelsey. Aiden's hand dropped from mine as I ran to Kelsey, trying to pull her off Amber. Sarah and Julia watched with the rest of the cafeteria as Kelsey and Amber tugged and pulled at each other's hair. I wrapped my arms around Kelsey but she wasn't going anywhere.

Desperately, I turned back to the group of guys as they just watched as Amber and Kelsey went at it. "Do something!" I screamed, snapping them back into reality. Dylan and Aiden didn't move  but Eli and Jason did. Eli wore a proud grin as he pulled Kelsey off of Amber. Jason pulled Amber back but wasn't able to fully get her away from Kelsey. Kelsey had grabbed a fistful of Amber's hair and with one final tug, she ripped the long blonde extension from its owner.

"You fucking bitch!" Jason dragged Amber away screaming just as the school's resource officer entered the cafeteria with the principal beside him.

Eli released Kelsey and she dropped the extension on the ground, with the other. "Oh shut up. Just a fair warning touch my best friend again and we will have a repeat of this." My heart swelled, she had called me her best friend.

"What exactly is going on in here?" Our principal looked over our group before stopping at Aiden and the guys. "I'm assuming you had something to do with this Mr Parker?"

"Actually Harry, for once I didn't touch anyone." Aiden glared at the old bald man.

"I find that hard to believe."

"Actually, I did." Kelsey stepped away from Eli and over to us.

"And I'm not sorry."

"Ugh." He lowered his head in shame, "Don't he brought down by these hooligans Kelsey," he looked over to me, "And you as well and you as well Ms Kane. I've noticed you hanging around Mr Parker." Heat spread through my cheeks as I nodded.

I tried to apologize but it was useless, "Everything escalated so quickly, I'm sorry."

"I don't want to here meaningless words Ms Kane. As long as you are with Aiden there will be many things to apologize for." With one final stern look he turned away from me.

"Let's go Kelsey."

If only I knew how true his words were.