The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Five

READ NOTE AT BOTTOM !
I wish he would have never said that. Because of him, my past has been devouring me ever since. All the memories of my mom and dad, even my brother. My mom's face danced around in my mind, her voice filling my ears. I wanted to puke. My dad's laugh almost covered my mother's lullaby as he laughed at his stupid jokes, the jokes that I miss more than anything. I could almost feel the coldness of the autumn breeze as I sat in between my parents, my body covered by the massive fleece blanket as we cheered on my brother, and screaming when he scored a touchdown.

And all the Christmas mornings, sneaking downstairs before anyone else was up. I licked my lips at the thought of my mom's hot chocolate with the little tiny marshmallows. I missed the laughter that filled our house as dad came trotting down the steps dressed as Santa.

I missed every single moment of the life I used to live.
The hot water pelted against my back as I stood under the shower, my tears mixing with the water as they cascaded down my face.

Would this ever go away?

My body was wrapped in a blanket as I sat with my knees pulled into my chest. It wasn't really cold but I brought one out anyways, "I wish you were here." My eyes were sore as I stared up at the orange and pink sky.

I rested my head on my chin with a sad smile "I think I made a friend." But how long would her interest in me last? Kelsey was everything I wanted to be. She was bold and beautiful, and from what I seen funny, and so kind.

"She's nice. Although, I can't help but wonder what Amber would do to her if she saw us hanging out." If I hadn't met Kelsey the way I did, I would have thought of her to be like Amber and all of her friends. Amber must have not met Kelsey yet because she didn't have her claws sunk into her.

"You'd like her, mom."

"Alison?" I lifted my chin up, looking at the open window above me. Hailey was peering down at me, half asleep.

"I was trying to pee when I heard someone talking. Thought I was going crazy then I realized the window was open." Hailey stuck her head further out the bathroom window, letting the sun drown the sleep in her eyes. "What are you doing?"

My hand rubbed the back of my neck, "Just getting some air."

"Oh okay. Well, I'm gonna go back to bed." She yawned before disappearing back into the window, leaving me to be by myself. I glanced at my phone, it was seven-thirty, we had school in thirty minutes.

I looked up at the golden sky with my tired eyes, "Goodbye mom and dad." I retreated to my room to get dressed.

Not caring what I wore, I threw on a blue tank with a dark grey hoodie and light grey sweats, pairing them with black flip-flops. I placed a kiss on my mother's locket before tucking it into my hoodie. Tying my hair up into a bun, I grabbed my bag and headed down stairs.