The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Fifteen

Aiden's chest pressed further against my backside as I scooted down a little so that my head was resting just under his chin. He moved his body with mine to find comfort as he sat against the end bed.

"Aiden?" His fingers ran softly over fingers.

"Yeah?" His voice was low in my ear leaving shivers all over my body, which was trembling.

While he played with my fingers with one hand the other was drawing patterns on my thigh, which also left me a nervous mess.

He waited for me to say something but I didn't. I was too focused on not melting at his feet.

"Alison?" He questioned waiting for a response.

"Alison?" His voice got louder.

"Alison!" And louder.

Aiden's voice shook me awake. He sat across from me watching as I lifted my face from the library table. Completely unaware that I had dozed off, I looked around for a second until I realized I had just had a fantasy about Aiden Parker. And apparently he knew something was up because he was smirking at me, hard.

"You kept saying my name while you were sleeping."

My face was beet red.

He leaned forward propping himself on his elbows. "I was?" I tried my best to play it off as cluelessly innocent but he definitely wasn't buying it. And even if he wanted to, his ego wouldn't let him.

"Oh yeah, one minute I was listening to you snore like a man and I was about to wake you up but then you called out my name. I figured I would regret it if I woke you up so I stuck around to hear what you had to tell me."

This was mortifying. First, I had stored like a pig in front of him and I basically had a wet dream about him, in front of him. Though in the dream, we weren't exactly naked or anything. In fact, we were just leaned up together while I was reading a book. The ultimate fantasy of a nerd, right? God, this was horrific. I am an actual loser.

And when did I start having fantasies especially about him?

"So, are you going to tell me what you so desperately wanted to say or no?" It had been a few minutes since I spoke and it probably looked like I was a weirdo, which I couldn't argue.

Still absolutely embarrassed, I swallowed the dry lump in my throat and shook my head. "I don't remember what I was saying. Probably something about how you get on my nerves."

Somewhat surprised by my bite, he leaned back into his seat with a faux hurt expression. "Couldn't be more than how much you get on mine." He joked back which actually made me crack a quick smile.

"Since when did you get the confidence to talk back to me?" His words caused me to look at him funny.

He was right. These past months, I have been speaking more of my mind with him. Honestly I hadn't even noticed until he pointed it out. With him it was weird. He seemed harsh and intimidating but he tried to be less when he was with me. At least recently he has been trying a lot more. Sure, he was still very opinionated and spoke his mind around me whether it came out nice or not, nothing had been ill intended.

I also noticed that I wasn't scared to speak around him anymore. He actually listened. He didn't always speak back but he listened. And I felt confident with him. He made me feel that way.

I stared at the face of the boy in front of me. He stared back and for a few seconds, everything was quiet. Everything was still, except for our eyes scanning each other's for sincerity and our breaths as they fell in sync.