The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Three

My hands gripped the table as I tried with everything in me to stay put and not run screaming out of the room

My hands gripped the table as I tried with everything in me to stay put and not run screaming out of the room. The once cool room had become increasingly hot and I could feel the sweat forming on my forehead, just above my eyebrows. Aiden saw the way his words affected me and he looked as if he was having the time of his life.

Utterly terrified, I sat across from Aiden, trying to think of a logical response.

Finally, I gathered enough courage to ask why.

"Because," Aiden shrugged, "Like I said, I want you." I watched the way his mouth moved as he spoke to me. His eyes lingered on my lips before slowly trailing down my body, lucky for me, I wore an oversized sweater so he didn't have much to look at.

This was a prank. Nervously, I whipped my head around looking for Amber and her friends to pop out and laugh in my face. My walls were already up and I was ready for their insults. My fingers pulled at the sleeves of my sweater, waiting for them to come out already.

"What are you doing?" Aiden asked puzzled, looking around the room trying to find what had me so worked up.

"Where are they?" Tears sprung from my eyes and I could feel the heat rush to my face as my heart rate sped up.

He continued his act, "Where are who?"

"Why can't you people leave me alone!" I cried out, standing up. My vision swayed a little, a dizzy spell from getting up too quickly. Before anyone could stop me or jump out from anywhere, I was already running out a the Library, leaving a confused Aiden and worried Mrs. Carpenter.

I hadn't even realized I locked myself in a stall until someone was knocking on the door. "Hey, are you okay in there?" A soft voice

What? My sniffles seized for a moment as I looked up from the tiled floor with puffy eyes, "What?"

"You ran in here crying, thought I'd check on you."

It was quit for a few seconds.

I didn't know what to say. No one other than Hailey had bothered to check on me. When I ended up crying in a stall, girls would just chat on like they didn't hear my sobs, or they would tease for being so weak and emotional.

"If you want to be alone, I'll respect that, but I'd rather you come out so I could introduce myself and maybe we could figure out how to make you quit crying." Whoever was out there must be new or brave because everyone knew not to befriend me. This girl obviously had no clue who I was. What if I went out there and she saw who I really was, what would she do.

A part of me hoped that if I did open the door she'd speak to me the same way as before but reality squashed that little piece of hope.

I peeked through the crack in the door, squinting my eyes to try and see who this caring girl was. "Come on. I don't judge. What's bugging you?" Her eye appeared on the other side of the crack, causing me to jump back.