The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Nine

My fingers ran over the soft skin on my bottom lip. I kept swiping it back and forth. He had kissed me. I kissed him. We kissed. I kissed Aiden Parker, and it would never happen again.. Right? I didn't want to kiss Aiden, in fact he'd be the last person I'd choose. If anyone, I'd pick Jake. He's nice and cute. He hasn't slept around, well, at least the didn't think he had. Plus he seemed to care. Aiden didn't. And I wasn't going to fool myself into thinking he did. It was a kiss. A mistake. I was a wreck. I wasn't thinking. I needed someone and he was there. I'm sure if Jake were to replace him in that situation I would have kissed him too.

"So, about this weekend; my mom said that you can come over. We can have a girls night: watch movies, talk, bake cookies and shit. Plus, my brother won't be there so we will have the house to ourself because my parents are going out on business. You can come over after school if yo-"

"He kissed me."

Kelsey got caught mid sentence, "What?"

My fingers brushed against my lip again, "Aiden kissed me."

"What?"

"I kissed him."

She looked at me for a few seconds with nothing more than a blank face. I almost thought she didn't care until her face lit up. "You kisses Aiden Parker!" Her voice came out in a high pitched squeal. Completely embarrassed, I shushed her. I scanned the tables around us to make sure no one was paying attention. I already had the title of the school slut, the news of Aiden and I kissing was the last thing I wanted to be spread around school.

She instantly caught herself. She sat up in her chair while propping her elbows onto the lunch table, "Sorry, but did I hear that correctly?"

"You heard it perfectly."

She continued it gleam at me. "Stop. You're being weird."

She laughed, "I can't believe it. Details now!" Kelsey leaned further onto the table. The details of that night flashed through my mind. There was no way I'd tell her what Hailey and I fought about but I would mention the argument.

I partially filled Kelsey in on the details of that night. I mentioned the argument but not what brought it on, except I did mention Hailey liking Kelsey's brother. I mentioned the cliff as well but I didn't tell her about why I went there.

"So he showed up and thought you were about to kill your self?"

I nodded.

"It's cute and all that he was being protective but how did he even know you were there?"

That was the question I had been asking myself since it happen. How did Aiden know I was there? Was he following me? I didn't notice anyone following me on the drive there. Of course he wasn't following me, it was his place first. He very well could have just been there to get away like me. But he was no where to be seen when I was walking towards the clearing. Plus I didn't see his car. It didn't make sense.

"I don't know."

"Speaking of the Devil," I followed Kelsey's gaze. Walking through the cafeteria doors was Aiden. He scanned the room as he did almost every day, searching for the same person, me. His eyes caught mine and I held a gaze with him for a moment before turning back to Kelsey.

"Don't say anything about it if he comes over here." Of course he was going to come over here.

"Ali,"

"Aiden."

My stomach swirled.

"Hey Aiden." Kelsey beamed up at the dark haired devil. I couldn't see his face because he stood behind me, but I didn't doubt that he was either glaring or staring blankly at the bubbly girl in front of me.