The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twenty

Time was doing that thing again where it seems to be moving but nothing goes with it. The only thing that it took was the silence that followed my confession. Thoughtful eyes stared back at me as we both fed the monster that stole our voices. Aiden's face remained inches from the tip of my nose but you could tell that his eyes were somewhere else. Placed on me, but not actually looking at me.

"Do you mean it?" 

It wasn't the words my mind was hoping to hear but my heart settled enough.

"Of course." His lips dipped down to kiss mine once more.

This was a lot for both of us and honestly I knew I felt deeply for him, but in this state of vulnerability, was love behind it? Aiden wasn't vulnerable like me. He didn't open himself up enough to be so, though I could still see that his walls had broke a little. Knocking them down would take a while and for now I would work with the small steps we both took.

I wasn't mad that he didn't say it back. I didn't need him too. He showed me already that he cared and for me- it was enough.

"Ali," Aiden drew out my name, slowly and deep, sending shivers through every inch of me.

When his head nuzzled into my neck, I tilted my head back slightly to give him more room to trail kisses along my skin. "I want you."

Me too.

But I wasn't ready to give that part of me up yet.

His fingers ran softly over the bare skin that my risen shirt had exposed. It halted just above my hip bone, respecting me until I told him to continue. The skin between my thighs ached and by how tight I was squeezing them shut, Aiden knew that he was making me go crazy, "Not yet."

Aiden's head rose from my neck to smother my mouth with sloppy kisses, "Okay." He whispered between contact.

This continued for a while but after so long we decided to stop before I made a decision I wasn't entirely sure on. He actually was the first to pull away. He sat up and pulled me with him so that I fell into his side on the couch. The room was dark other then the few beams of light peeking through the front window blinds. Orange light showcased his features while mine fell into the shadows.

As we sat with sound of our heartbeats, a pink blush rose to my cheeks.

Soft mixed with rough as I ran my fingers over his own "Do you think your sister heard us?"

A soft chuckle flew from his lips. "With as many girls that's been here, I'm sure she was expecting to hear more."

I know he didn't mean to hurt me with his words but they came flying at me drenched in a scorching fire. He was with other girls, I had to remind myself that often. Sometimes, I'd find myself forgetting that he was. Then I would walk with him in the hall or hear someone whisper about me and him being together. And I'd remember that I wasn't his first girlfriend and sometimes I felt I wasn't going to be his last.

I didn't know where our future stood. Graduation was sneaking up and California was my next destination, if I am still here. Thinking about this made me wonder about his future. He hadn't mention college or if he was staying here after. Him coming with me across the country was a fantasy I wasn't too sure if I wanted to happen even if possible. What if he did follow me and then we broke up?

There wasn't a reason for me to stay here before I met him and after, there still won't be one. I love Aiden, but my life wouldn't be a life here.

"What do you want after high school?" We had conversations all the time recently, but he always tried to stay clear of important ones.

"I don't know. Whatever you want." His response caused me to scoff.

"You can't base your life off mine, Aiden."

"Have you thought about college? A job? Anything."

"My parents firm, if they'll have me." A law firm. Aiden wanted to work at his parents law firm. The idea of him dressed in a suit danced across my mind. I never pegged him as a lawyer it with the thought in mind- it suited him well.

Though, it was a little to close to doing "whatever" I do. I mentioned to him that I wanted to be a lawyer too. When my parents died my brother and I both inherited a good amount each. Thirty thousand sat in my savings, completely untouchable until college. Of course I didn't plan to use it all for my first semester, I had to buy a plane ticket and a place to live, and god knows California wasn't cheap.

Our old house was left for my brother because my parents believed that if anything happened to them, he could raise me there. He didn't. Instead he rented out the house for a while for eventually selling it to an older couple. I resented him for months. More then than I had when he abandoned me. That was our home. One of the few things left that was our parents's- and he threw it away.

One day, I want to have enough money to buy it back, if  it's still standing. "You're so deep in thought." Aiden's lips left my cheek.

I often zoned out and in on my past. Not doing it was hard.

"Let's go upstairs?"

Aiden followed me up the staircase and to his room. "Here." Toned skin stood in front of me as he pulled his shirt over his head. With a smile, I took his shirt. He watched with the tiniest smirk waiting for me to do the same with my shirt.

"Turn around, pretty boy." Aiden lips twitched in the slightest as he faced the wall. I pulled my shirt off and slid his over my bra. The fabric ended at my thighs. My jeans clung to my thighs as I shimmed out of them and into his bed covers.

"Okay."

He followed the same process.

Fingers stroked and gently pulled my hair as my head pressed against his chest, "Will you go to prom with me, Ali?" The biggest smile I could make covered my face. Instantly, I sat up to look at his face.

"You want to go to prom?"

The previous proms were unattended by me. Any school event was off limits to me but this was my last year and until he came along I hadn't planned on going. Aiden hadn't said anything about it and posters had been plastered across the school. Girls talked about it nonstop and most hard already got their dresses. Even Eli mentioned it to Kelsey.

Aiden hadn't even noticed it so I didn't bring it up.

"If you want to go."

A smile lit up his face as I kissed him three times, once on his left cheek and then on his right and finally on his lips, "I'd love to go."