The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Fourteen

If I had food in my mouth I'd probably had choked, luckily I did not have food in my mouth and I was perfectly capable of speaking, yet for some reason I couldn't spit the words out.

"Um, what do you mean?" I managed to pull myself together.. A little.

"How many guys have you dated?" Dylan jumped in, not curious to know the answer. He was clearly asking it to be an ass. They all knew I had never been around anyone other than Aiden.

My eyes shifted to look at Aiden. He watched Dylan. "Only Aiden." It was quiet for a moment before Eli spoke up.

"When did you come to our school? I haven't seen you until this year."

Ouch.

"Actually, I've been going here since freshman year." It was embarrassing to say. Was I really that invisible? The fabric of Aiden's shirt rubbed against my fingers as I pinched the hem lightly.

Jason's palm covered his face, "You idiot."

At least I wasn't the only one embarrassed. Eli seemed pretty flushed at his mistake.

"I'm sorry, I just don't pay attention." No one notices me anyways.

"It's okay. I understand."

"Why do you say that?"

"I'm used to it," I lifted my shoulders into a shrug, "I'm invisible." This was mortifying.

"Well you aren't anymore. We see you." Now he wasn't the only one blushing. Dylan sat back in his seat, unamused.

I noticed how uncomfortable Aiden had become and decided to go out on a limb to try and comfort him. I've learned that he could be so shut off sometimes. Most of the time.

"Tell us about your life."

I really didn't want to but I felt like I had too. I don't think I could even if I wanted to. "There's nothing to tell."

"Oo, someone has a past they don't want to remember." Dylan looked smug.

I shot him a look. "Don't we all."

"True, but we are getting bored. Typically I don't like hearing girls talk but I need something to entertain me."
The air had shifted around us.

Suddenly the mood got dimmed by the enhanced attitude from Dylan. Eli sat silent with his lips sealed and Jason acted like he was busy on his phone but I knew he was paying attention. I didn't know what to say. If Aiden actually cared about me in the slightest bit, I prayed that he would say something to shift the conversation.

"She doesn't have to tell you if she doesn't want to asshole." He didn't sound mad. Only a little irritated. It was kind of out of my place to expect him to do something anyways. He was just using me where as Dylan was his best friend.

"So, um are we gonna eat?" Eli pulled a fry from the his plate with hungry eyes. I had been so nervous about speaking that I hadn't realized our food had came, none of noticed, only Eli of course.

"So not to seem self centered or anything," Eli stuffed another fry in his mouth, "Has Kelsey talked about me any?" If I didn't know his plan with her I would have thought that it was cute the way he asked. But sadly I knew his intentions, the same as Aiden's. Me and Kelsey were just toys to them. The difference was, no offense to Kelsey, but I was not going to let Aiden succeed. I didn't know how far she would go with Eli or how far she had already been.

She hasn't told me anything major and they've been hanging out for a few weeks now. Usually she would tell me when they went out or if he kissed her. Like the first night he did, she drove to my house at ten at night just to tell me. I was asleep so instead of calling my cell like a normal person she threw rocks Romeo and Juliet style at my window until I woke up scared shitless.

"She thinks you are a nice guy." Was all I could muster. I guess he was expecting more because his eyes shifted a little but I really didn't have anything else to tell him. What was I supposed to tell him, that Kelsey thought he was the hottest guy ever and she would let him do anything he wanted to her? No thank you. I'll let her do that on her own time.

Jason and Dylan chuckled a little at my answer. "Just a nice guy." Jason slapped Eli's shoulder. I suppressed my giggle.

"Are you going to eat?" I looked over to Aiden who was staring down at me. His eyes moved to my plate and then back to me.

"Oh, I'm not really hungry." I grabbed a single small fry and ate it quietly with him still watching me. Making me majorly uncomfortable. Weirdo.

"You haven't eaten all day."

I shrugged it off as best as I could, "I don't really eat much." It's not like I needed it.

"Well you should at least eat half of your burger."

"I really don't want too. I'm fine."

I could tell he was annoyed but I didn't know why, it was none of his business. I didn't want to eat, especially not this fat food in front of them. Even if I did force some down, the second I got away from them I would rush to the bathroom.

I only ate when I really needed too. I didn't want to risk gaining more weight. According to the girls in the locker room, I was already too fat to wear my gym shorts. And the t shirt, they said they were surprised my fat was budging at the seams. It made me really self conscious, the things they said. The judge mental stares and hushed whispers that we're still loud enough for me to hear. I heard it all. Every joke and comment. And I was sick with myself.

So much so that I don't even want to look in mirrors anymore. So Aiden could nag me all he liked but I wasn't going to eat more than I was comfortable with. Another awkward setting took over as everyone ate quietly. No one really spoke to me on the drive to my house. Not that I wanted them too, I sat silently beside Aiden until they pulled up to my front yard.

Aiden turned the keys and walked me to my door, but not before the guys got their goodbyes in. Well, everyone except Dylan. Jason shot me a small smile with a little wave. I returned the half smile and turned to Eli. "Bye Alister!" He wore a big smile as he raised his hand for a high five. While cringing at the horrible nickname, I slapped his hand and turned to walk with Aiden.

"Alister? You're so retarded." I giggled lightly as Jason teased Eli.

"What? I liked it." Eli defended himself.

We paused across from each other as we reached my door, "I'm sorry if they made you uncomfortable, they're fucking idiots."

"It's okay, I had fun." It wasn't a complete lie. It wasn't the best experience but it was awful. Eli knows how to be the life of the party for sure. Without him making jokes and just being dumb every few seconds, t definitely would have been worse.

The pool was undoubtedly the worst. I felt so exposed to all of them but especially Aiden. That little scene in the pool. The way I took charge and kissed him first. That was so dumb but I loved it. It was a rookie mistake, and I can't afford to slip up again. This was a game and I keep saying that I know over and over again but here I was, still letting him win.

And everything felt great until his friends showed up uninvited, ruining our "moment" or whatever the hell was happening between us. Before they came Aiden actually had me believing him. His words. I almost fell for it. But the second they showed up, he acted like nothing was happening between us, or nothing had just happened. And being in such a revealing bathing suit in front of them made my skin crawl.

I know I embarrassed myself by jumping out of the pool and bolting for the door but what else was I supposed to do?

Aiden looked at my lips for a few seconds and I waited for him to kiss me breathless to put on a show for his friends, because that's all I was to him, a puppet. I knew he couldn't wait to show them how he already had me wrapped around his fingers.

I shifted my eyes to the car then back to him, "They're watching, just go ahead and do it."

He was confused for a moment. He didn't say anything when he understood what I meant. Just gave me a hard look.

"First of all, if I kissed you right now, it would be because I wanted to not to show off to a bunch of horny boys."

I didn't say anything in return. He just told me to have a good night and said that he would call me later.