The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Two

My name

My name.

He knew my name.

Aiden Parker knew my name.

What could he possibly want from me? What did he mean when he said I'll see you tomorrow?

He never saw me before. He sat in my class and never even glanced at me. He passed me in the halls and didn't notice when he'd almost knock me over. He ran right past me all the times he was chasing after his friends when they said something to piss him off. We've been going to the same school for almost four years and he's never said a word to me, not even a single syllable until yesterday.

My mind was so wrapped around Aiden that I hadn't even realized my mom had been trying to get my attention. Lily wasn't my biological mom but she was the closest thing I had to one. She was my mother, she raised me, loved me, took care of me, and supported me. She is my biological mom's sister. Before my parents died, I didn't really see Lily or David, her husband, much. We'd see each other when we came to visit for Christmas but that was it. When mom and dad died, I was surprised she wanted to raise me. She already had a family, and I didn't want her to be stuck with me, but she didn't even hesitate to fully adopt me.

"Alison?" Lily's Brown eyes were big with worry as she stared at me. Her eyes drifted down to my plate.

"Are you okay honey? You've barely eaten." David and Hailey shifted their attention to me as well.

My fingers fiddled with the bottom of my sweater, I gnawed on my bottom lip, "I've just been thinking about something. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize for it, honey. I won't pry if you don't want to talk about it, but what's bugging you?" That's one of the many things I loved about her. She never pushed me to talk to her about things, especially if I wasn't comfortable with it, but she made it clear that she would listen to anything. She cared a lot about me but I could never tell her what's always bugging me. I couldn't do that to her. If she knew how I felt, she would break down crying and probably never stop hugging me. As much as I wanted to go to her and cry my eyes out about how I really felt, I couldn't and I never would because I couldn't break Lily like that.

I gave her a grateful look, "It's nothing really, just school." It wasn't really a lie, I just left out the part about Aiden. She took it as my classes were bothering me.

Lily sent an apologetic smile, "I love you, sweetie, just remember that." My heart felt like a million bees had stung me.

"I love you too Mom-" I looked at David, "And you too Dad, but I think I'm going to head to bed early." They both sent me warm smiles.

David's voice was smooth as he spoke. "Goodnight honey." I sent them one more smile before heading upstairs.

My shirt hit the clothes bin as I slipped a T-shirt on and slid out of my leggings. Climbing into my bed, I fell asleep after hours of dreading tomorrow.