The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Eight

4 days.

That's how long Aiden has been "missing" No one other than Kelsey and Hailey seemed to notice, besides me. Really, they were only aware because I told them. Neither of them seemed concerned, but for some reason I was. I didn't know why I felt this way but I did and my mind has been stuck on him since. It wasn't like I was head over heels for him, I was just concerned.

I didn't like him but I didn't want him hurt, although I couldn't do anything to prevent that. Whatever he was doing and wherever he was, I'm sure he's doing just fine. He's Aiden. No one screws with Aiden.

"Where's your boyfriend?" I turned back to look at the brunette boy stationed behind me.

"He isn't my boyfriend, Jake."

"Tell that to him." There was a hint of jealousy and I couldn't figure out why. Jake was jealous of the attention I was receiving, but why?

"I don't know where he is. He hasn't reached out to me since Saturday. Quite frankly, I don't care. Whatever he chooses to do with his life is his business." That was a lie. I did care and I was pissed at myself for caring a little too much.

Jake's face lit up into a smile, "Well if he isn't your boyfriend, you should go on a date with me tonight."

I was at a loss for words.

"A date?"

"A date."

"I'm sure you'd rather take someone else." I didn't mean to offend him but he flinched a little by my words.

"Not everyone is out to get you, Alison. I just want to get to know you. I like you," He paused for a moment, "Plus, my sister would probably drown me if I screwed you over." My teeth chewed lightly on my bottom lip and I let out a little laugh, which caused a grin to widen his face.

I took a moment to think about his proposal. Jake was a great guy: he was smart, funny, honest and undoubtedly attractive, but the one thought that made me want to decline was the unpredictable asshole. Aiden. When was he going to come back? What would he do if he found out about Jake?

Most importantly, what would he do to me? I wanted to believe that Aiden wouldn't hurt me. The comfort I felt with him last Saturday was real but I had to remember that he is Aiden and Aiden isn't a nice guy. I've never seen him hurt a girl before and I'd like to believe he wouldn't, but I didn't know Aiden.

But, I wanted to.

He didn't seem so awful when we were together and that leads me to think that he isn't completely dark inside. Maybe, he puts on a masquerade like me. Or maybe that's just who he really is, heartless.

"So?"

"I'll have to think about it." I shot him a quick small smile as the bell rung.

"How was school?" Lily passed the salad bowl around the table.

"It was fine." I gave a bland answer, letting Hailey explain the events of her day to her parents. I tuned out after she mentioned cheer. She must have been talking for a while because by the time she was done talking everyone had been done eating, except for me.

"Are you finished, Dear?" Lily reached for my half-full plate, I nodded my head and thanked her. Hailey sat with a hard look.

"She hasn't been eating." Hailey's sudden accusations caused something to boil inside me. Lily turned around.

How could she?

Why would she?

"I'm gonna go catch up on homework. Goodnight, love you guys." I smiled at my parents before retreating to my room before either of them could say anything. I knew they'd eventually talk to me but I couldn't listen to that right now.