memories

a/n 10 months later: MORE ANGST IM SORRY I DON'T KNOW WHY I WROTE SO MUCH ANGST
-
"You know, I always had so much on my mind that I never told you about, Ohm. I guess I worried too much about what could've been, and not enough about what was already happening.” Bryce laughs to himself, staring up at the stars.

“I always wanted to run away and disappear, off to a happier place. Cheesy, right?” There's another laugh, this one hollow and void of any joy. Bryce shivers, a gust of wind blowing past him, and then curls up into a little ball, small and frail against the cold, harsh night.

He looks to the empty space besides him, and finds himself thinking about what could've been.

About what should've been.

Ohm should've been here right now, sitting besides Bryce as they stared up at the stars. Ohm should've been here, laughing at Bryce's crappy puns and making his stupid, stupid jokes with that stupid, stupid grin on his face. Ohm should've been here, holding Bryce's hand or leaving little kisses all over Bryce's face.

Ohm should've been here right now, but he isn't. Ohmwrecker isn't here right now, though, and he never will be. Ohm was gone, and Bryce wasn't sure if he could ever get over something like that.

The silence hanging around Bryce right now is about as dead as his lover was, and the realization almost makes Bryce laugh. But the laugh gets caught in his throat, and comes out as a small, choked sob instead.

Bryce has never felt so small, so helpless and so hopeless before.

“Ohm? Oh, Ohm…” Bryce falls silent, tears falling freely down his cheeks, rosy and slightly numb from the cold. If Ohm was here, he would've told Bryce to go back inside.

But he wasn't here, so Bryce stayed outside. This spot was special to him, this spot was where they had their first date. Right here, where the big oak tree had stood before being knocked over in a storm.

Bryce remembered being delightfully surprised when he learned Ohm had planned everything out, bringing a picnic and everything. It seemed cheesy, at the time, but Bryce wouldn't have traded it for anything.

They ate, they talked, ran around and rolled around in the grass, and when the sun went down they sat and watched the sunset.

Bryce shifts his attention from his thoughts, and instead looks up at the stars. For a brief moment, the bright white of the stars reminds him less of cheesy first dates, and more of blinding, white headlights rushing towards him at full speed.

Those eyes he had grown so fond of had been staring up at him with horror, before slowly falling shut, and never opening again. Bryce remembers how panicked and horrified he had been, a burning pain in his side as he did all he could to save his lover.

It was all for naught, though. His efforts fell short, and Ohm bled out. The paramedics who came to the scene said there wasn't a thing he could've done, anyways, that Ohm was doomed either way. If he hadn't bled out, his head injury surely would've done him in. That Ohm was lucky he hadn't died on impact, that Ohm-

“Bryce?! Bryce!”

Bryce jolts, forced out of his thoughts by Cartoonz and Delirious standing over him, both with worry etched into their faces.

“What the hell do you think you're doing out here? It's fuckin’ freezing, and you don't got a jacket on! I swear, me and Delirious were worried sick.” Cartoonz shakes his head, before draping something across Bryce's shoulders.

Bryce can't  bring himself to respond. He sniffles, curling up into a tighter ball, hiding his face from his two friends. There's a soft thump on either side of him, and then arms wrap around him tightly.