Chapter 13

Taleera's POV

I stared at him from across the cafeteria. He was sitting alone for once, listening to some music with his headphones and doing some late ass homework. Thomas probably made the other guys on the football team hate him for what happened at the party.

"So, are you gonna go thank him?" Tinika asks. I looked at her like 'bish whet?' "Yeah, you heard me. Go say thank you to that boy. We all knew Thomas could've taken it a lots farther if it wasn't for William."

"So, I don't wanna talk to him. The thanks should be implied." I say back, folding my arms.

"She's right, Leera. He saved you. Stop being rude as fuck." Destony said. I huffed. They were right. I actually have been thinkin of thanking him for what happened at the party, but I don't want it to seem like I'm forgiving him for everything else also.

"Fine! But don't expect to see us being friendly. He's not off the hook for anything, okay? He still fucked me over with that bitch, Emile."

"Did we say y'all have to be friends? Nah. So don't expect that we expect shit," Tinika said.

Destony added, "But we do expect you to take yo black ass over to his table and thank him."

I roll me eyes as I place my palms on the luch table to push myself out of my seat. I turn to face the direction of his table. I make my walk over there.

When I get to his table, I kinda just stand there awkwardly, waiting for him to notice me. When he does, he looks kind of shocked as he pulls his headphones off.

"Hi," he says lowly. His eyes shined right up at me and I my heart started beating quickly. Damn, the things this guy does to me.

Stay focused, T.

"I just came to say thanks," I started twiddling my thumbs, "for what you did at the party." He smiled a little up at me.

"You're welcome, Taleera." He was going to say more, but I interrupted him.

"But don't mistake my thanks as forgiveness. You hurt me, William, and that not fucking okay." I took a deep breath. "So don't get happy. You are far from off the hook." His eyes and head lowered.

"I understand," he sighed. I gulped and turned around to walk away. "But I'll never stop trying." I stopped walking, but didn't turn. "I was a piece of shit to you. A fucking ass, I admit it. But I won't stop chasing your forgiveness. I could never forgive myself if you hated me. I am so sorry, Taleera. Fuck Emile. Fuck Thomas. Fuck the team. I want you. And I'll never stop trying to win you back."

Don't turn, T. Don't let him see the tears.

I walked away from the table William was at and I could feel his eyes staring at me; all blue and beautiful.

"I hope you do," I whispered so low, no one could hear.

****

^At home^

"YOU ARE THE FATHER!"

"Hey, ma," I greeted my mom. She was always there before me because Asha got out of school early. She was sitting on the sofa, watching Maury.

"Hey, baby," she replied. I look around the area a little bit more.

"Where's Daddy?" I ask aftee not seeing him. She huffed.

'Working late...again," she sighs. I sigh, too. He's been oyt a lot lately. It'a like I never see him anymore. "Oh, baby get me my pills. I have to see how many I have left before I get a new bottle." I nod a little.

"Ok." My mama takes antidepressants. She told me she started taking them when she was 19 after her twin sister died in a really bad car accident. She told me that her death was.sort of its trigger since depression runs in our family. I wasn't born yet, so I didn't get to meet my aut before she died.

I ran up the stairs and down the hallway. I threw my backpack in my room before I rushed to my parent's bedroom. I saw the pill bottle on the dresser and grabbed it. Then I ran back down and gave it to my mom.

"Where's Asha?" I asked. "I didn't hear her upstaires." She spoke as she was search the pill bottle.

"She wanted to go to Austin's house. Apparently he got in trouble at school, so she wanted to explain to Deborah that he was only defending her."

"Ohhh," I say shocked. "She must be startimg to like him."

"Yep, next thing you know, she'll be like you and William." I breathe deeply at the soumd of his name, thinking of what he said back at school during lunch.

"Let's hope not," I mumble.

"What?"

"Nothing."