Congratulations

Requested by: indYgophoenix11d

Angelica had suppressed her jealously and disgust for too long. Years had slipped by, and she watched her sister be swept off by someone who left a sickening taste in the back of her throat. Something about him had never seemed to fit right in her heart.

Her suspicions proved themselves true upon one fateful evening. Word got around the town, a whole ocean away, that her brother in law had cursed himself terribly. She questioned this at first, but soon realized they were right.

"You mustn't leave at this hour, love. Think of the children, oh how they need their mother here." Much to her own husband's pleading, all she could do was hurriedly pack her bags.

"John, I will not let this man believe he has escaped the worst. He has blackened both his name and my sister's heart. The children there need comforting too." Angelica shuffled through the dark to find her belongings as she furiously spat back at her husband.

She received a rather loud sigh. "Well, you're correct, dear. It will take time to get there, but if you insist, it's in our best interest to go." Her husband moved past her to the door of their room, and she grabbed his arm suddenly.

"I owe you for this," she breathed hesitantly, before letting him walk off. For all the times they went to the land of the free, she never had time to repay him for his constant kindness.

He never failed on being off on the calculations of the length of their journey either. Winds billowing up her skirts, Angelica poised herself on the side of the ship, looking into the distance. She could barely contain her fury with every sway of the ship.

But they arrived in time to save her sister and her children from that monster. Angelica held down her tongue the entirety of the trip for her children's sake, but couldn't once they landed.

"He'll be regretting every second he ever spent in that woman's bedchamber," she hissed under her breath to no one in particular as they approached the house. She tightened her grip on her husband's hand.

"Mind you, it was his, my dear," John murmured back, and that one comment left his wife to only storm faster to the door.

Angelica didn't need to ask for permission to enter. The children looked quite shocked to see their aunt arriving, but they asked no questions of it. Even the littlest ones waved at her and giggled nonsense as she wandered by.

She halted in front of the parlor door. On the chair before the fireplace, knitting calmly, could only be her sister. From behind her, Angelica felt her husband's encouraging touch, and she almost gained the courage to speak.

However something stopped her. She heard the sound of creaking floorboards from the study and the ripping of parchment. Angelica stepped back from the parlor door, and she whispered to her husband, "Take care of her, John. I'll be back shortly."

She stumbled down the hall, keeping a sort of composed posture and attitude. The door opened before she could grab it, probably because he expected one of his children. His face said otherwise.

"Angelica..." Her brother in law had never looked more pathetic. Unshaven face, dark circles beneath his eyes, and ink on his hands, he was not a sight for sore eyes.

"Alexander," she firmly replied, shoving past him into the study, and observing the room momentarily. He closed the door behind her quickly. By the sudden tension, it seemed that he had caught on to her disgust.