Upstate

Requested by: melodiousoblivion

"Oh, won't you leave your work at rest for once in your life and join us upstate?"

The summer heat was in the distance of the city, dreadfully clinging to anyone still lingering around their homes. Many people led their papers and things to travel, or spend time with their family. Eliza found herself unable to convince her own husband to join her on a trip to see her father.

"You know my work is important. If you'd-"

She dropped the belongings she had been packing from her arms and strutted across the room to her husband. It was taking all her strength to not lash out or demand some respect from him. Instead, she silently bottled up her frustration and placed her hands on his shoulders.

Running circles into them, as she whispered, Eliza knew she would win him over surely with her methods. "Must you resist such an opportunity for relaxation and alone time? I'm sure the children will be well entertained by the presence of my family, so perhaps while they're captivated we could go elsewhere."

Alexander bit the corner of his lip, deeply listening. He quite liked her intentions and wasn't denying that. As her hand drifted across the front of his chest, he snatched it in his own and kissed it. "How could I possibly refuse that offer, my dear?"

Eliza pulled her hand from his, replying in a firm manner. "Very well then. We'll be leaving tomorrow. I'd suggest you start packing." A little smirk danced across her lips. She lifted up a shirt, silently folding it.

Sighing, her husband finally rose from his chair and left his work to rest. Before he went to check on the children, he reached out and pressed a kiss to her neck. Eliza inhaled sharply, but didn't say anything. It was difficult to hide her thrill for the summer upstate, now knowing her husband was joining them.

Early the following morning, all four children and two adults boarded a carriage, heading towards the upstate city. Along the way there, the children expressed their excitement on plans for the summer. Alexander made sure to show his interest in each of their wishes. He wanted to make it an unforgettable time.

After arriving at their destination, the children excitedly spread out. They all knew the area around their grandfather's home quite well, so each of them scouted out different places and spots to go to. The oldest, Philip, insisted that writing and studies were more valuable.

Eliza leaned close to her son and whispered into his ear, "You don't need to please your father on this trip. It's a well deserved rest for all of us." The boy looked vaguely startled by his mother's words, but he didn't respond. He was still only nine, so it was important for him to experience his childhood right.

"And you never fail to impress me with your intelligence, young man. Have a seat. We have much to discuss." The man of the household, Philip, insisted upon the adults having a clear conversation together. He took his daughter's hand and drew her closer to where the two men sat beside one another.

Alexander gave his wife an uneasy, but determined glance. Even after a successful and supported marriage together, he still felt intimidated by her father. Especially when he still called him young man.

"Such a pity my other darling daughter couldn't afford to be here with us. She sends her well wishes to the both of you." Philip raised his glass, before swallowing the contents of it. A bit of silence followed his words.