My Son

Requested by: gayisyay

Alexander would have never dreamed of finally being home again. Of seeing his wife, alive and well, and being able to sleep knowing she was safe from war and the terror of losing him. But what even seemed more unreal was coming home to the idea of being a father.

Bag of his belongings, and pride in his chest, he stared up at the walkway to their home. He'd left, staying strong for Eliza, but completely falling apart on the inside. Not many soldiers made it out alive, and the thought terrified both his wife and himself.

Yet as he knocked on the door, for the first time in so long, Alexander could feel a sense of calmness fill his heart. The soft sound of her feet nearing the door, the knob being turned, and the relief of seeing her face right there.

"Betsey," he breathed, choking up at the sight of her. Swallowing down all the fear that had been building up in his windpipe for the last couple of months, Alexander dropped his bag and swept her into his arms.

His hands fumbled, as he touched her hair again, smelling the familiar scent that she had since the day they met. Tears blending against her own, he leaned back to see her face clearly.

Beautiful as he remembered. Her face had the same heavenly glow, as if time hadn't passed at all. Alexander traced a finger along the inner part of her neck, letting a smile grow on his wife's face. She was just as speechless.

Timidly, but surely, Alexander closed his eyes and kissed her. Nights had gone by where he'd been horrified at the thought of not returning home. He remembered thoughts and flashes of visions at the idea of being unable to provide for his newborn son.

But all that was a faded memory now.

Eliza broke the kiss, leaving her lips close enough that they brushed roughly together. It only took a moment, of their foreheads touching, and breathing in sync, for the words to come out. "I've missed you, Alexa-"

Hand securing around her waist, he allowed no further discussion and connected their lips once more. A noise of pleasure crawled up his throat and hummed between their moving lips, causing his wife to blush and pull back.

"We have been separated too long, I see." She nodded her head knowingly, forehead bumping against his, as he chuckled and pulled her closer. He went to kiss her again, for the taste of her lips was irresistible to his tongue, but was startled by the sound of crying.

His head jerked upwards towards the second level, at the long set of stairs leading up to the rooms above, and let his mouth open in surprise. Their son. Eliza noticed his disbelief and she looked down, fiddling with her fingers.

"I suppose it's time you meet him."

Alexander let out a sound of both exhaustion and excitement. He looked as if he could faint right then and there. Luckily, Eliza took hold of his arm, her fingers wrapping around, and slowly guiding him up the stairwell.

In the corner of their bedroom, as they entered, the crying grew louder. Eliza calmly drifted across the room to the wooden bassinet, that had been added during his absence. She tucked a strand of her hair behind her hair, gazing down at the child inside.

As she soothed him, tickling his chin, she looked back up at Alexander in the doorway. It seemed as though the shock of being a father really hit him. "Come here," she murmured, nodding reassuringly.

Cautiously striding up beside her, he caught the first glimpse of his son. Squirming and blinking up at the new face, the baby gurgling and silencing his cries. His head tilted to the side curiously and he reached one hand up.

Eliza nudged her husband encouragingly, letting him gently allow their son to seize one of his fingers in those tiny hands of his. The sudden expression on Alexander's face changed drastically, as he gasped quietly at the touch.

He was so small, yet grown. Alexander watched as the boy tightened his grip, all the while not looking away from his father. He began to kick his legs furiously, making noises.

"Ma, ma?" Their son gripped the side of the bassinet, trying to stand, but collapsing on his bottom unsuccessfully. Eliza chuckled, at both her son, and Alexander's amazement.

"Darling," she answered, swooping her boy up into her arms. He gurgled again, waving his hands around, trying to get down. "This is your father. Remember all I told you, huh?" She cooed to him, tickling his cheek.

"Dada?"

Alexander had to hold back tears. "Y-yes, that's right, Philip." Just saying his name gave him so many chills. Eliza bounced the boy on her hip, carefully handing him over to his father.

Unsure how to properly support his son, he let her adjust his hands, until it felt comfortable for the both of them. Philip's eyes were a beautiful color, just like Alexander's. He shared the same nose and chin with Eliza.

But for the both of them, he had that smile.

Completely undone at that smile, Alexander laughed with ease. He pressed a kiss to the boy's forehead, allowing the tears to escape and slid down on the boy's skin. Philip giggled at the touch and squirmed some more.

"Dada! Dada!" Philip's voice raised an octave as he shifted in his father's arms, demanding to be let down. Alexander set him down, carefully holding onto his little arms.

"Look!" Stuttering utter nonsense to himself, his son attempted to take a step. He succeeded, but then fell back into his father's open arms.

Overcome with emotions, Alexander could feel his heart and mind fall apart just at the sight of Philip's growing smile. He'd believed he was so smart, all this time away from home, but know he wasn't sure of that.

Embracing the boy in a hug, Alexander couldn't resist to smile with him. He'd done all he could to build a nation, to protect it, and it wasn't over yet. His own child would be the reason every night for the following years of his life he'd work so much.

If there was one thing he knew at that moment, it was that his son would blow the world away someday. Whether it'd be with his smarts or kindness, Philip would change the world, and his father would make sure to see him succeed.

. . . . . . . . . .
A/N: Thank you gayisyay for the request! I enjoyed writing this for you! Sorry for the wait, but I hope you liked it. Apologizes for the slow updates, but don't worry, I'm working on a bunch of requested one shots and things. Thanks for all your patience.