The Reason

Requested by: ruff1258

"And if you were to cross paths with Jefferson, you're saying you would crush him?"

Leaning forward on his chair, as if testing his friend, Alexander pointed an accusing finger out. "I would make him wish he never crossed paths with me in the first place." The group of men cheered at that.

It might have been the alcohol that was getting to their senses, making them giddy and unlike themselves, or it could have been the fact they were in Mount Vernon.

General Washington had invited the gentlemen to his home, out of his good heart. All of them were looked at with respect from him, which was already enough. For him to invite them to his house was even more of an honor.

The sun was setting on the horizon, lightening up the house. With the sky turning pink, those who spent their days working in the fields slowly wandered back towards their quarters.

However, the group of young soldiers didn't stop chatting. Each of them occasionally poured another glass of elegant wine that the General had provided. Time passed and they continued poking fun at one another.

From the side of the patio, Washington watched the group anxiously. All of them had drastically changed with just a few glasses. The once proper, attentive men were now ditzy and insulting of every politician they could think of.

"Gentlemen," he firmly said. The four turned, one spinning too far and almost falling flat on the ground. Washington winced at the sight, thinking how he probably shouldn't have suggested drinks for all. "Take a seat. And give me that bottle, you have drank too much."

One by one, they found a seat and faced the man each of them looked up to. There was a long silence, besides the tapping of feet and groaning. But someone finally broke it. "You haven't talked the whole day, tell us something."

Nodding their heads in agreement, they looked towards the General. His stomach flipped. It was wrong to feel intimidated by his own soldiers, but he felt attacked. Having not talked on a personal note for what seemed to be years, he was caught without words.

"What would you like me to tell you?"

He rocked back and forth on his heels, hoping to ease the nervousness he felt. They could say anything, their drunken minds could conjure up anything. Maybe he would never hear the end of it, whatever the case might be.

Chuckling one of them said, "You ain't got any children. Is there a reason?"

Children. Though the men might have not seen the look of worry on his face, deep down his heart began to pound. Out of all the things they could have asked, they managed to ask that.

The subject of children was personal. He wasn't unfamiliar with them. But no matter how much he desired a son or daughter of his own, his wish was never fulfilled.

"I'm not comfortable discussing that."

Head spinning, the General gripped the railing, trying to block out the chuckles from the other soldiers. The case was closed. Or so he hoped.

"But sir, we want to know." Unaware to the personal note of the question, the young men chuckled. For all the drinks they took, their brains weren't working the way they did.

Washington firmly replied, "We aren't going to discuss this, gentlemen." Not even his tone of command stopped their foolish words.

Taking the position of order he needed to, he interjected, "My desire for a child is something you won't understand. Many nights I have wondered if there is something wrong with me, with my inability to conceive one. I have tried, don't doubt that, but there's been no luck."

Immense silence followed his words. All four of his soldiers sat, their mouths hanging open in surprise. Their goofy expressions had washed away, completely at attention now.

"Sir, I didn't-" John tried to give sympathy, but he was cut off by a glare from the General. He shifted in his chair, tapping the edge of his wine glass with his finger.

No one spoke for a while. The alcoholic attitude had seemed to vanish, as the men felt very guilty for asking such a personal thing. They hadn't any clue to how much it would make their General tear up.

Reaching his hand out, gesturing in the air tiredly, Washington murmured, "You will find someone one day that you will love. That person will mean enough that you'll want to start a family." He didn't let them see the tears forming in his eyes.

"And you most certainly will try. The second you hear that you'll be a father, that will change your life, whether you realize it or not. I might never get to experience that moment." The beams of light from the sunset shadowed over his face as he spoke.

Lafayette pressed his lips together silently, listening intently. He hesitated and then said quietly, "I'm sorry." His friends looked at him, before all whispering as well.

Washington shook his head. "Don't apologize. Each of you will find your way and make me proud with your own families. I wish no sympathy, only to see your future success in creating a family. It's personal to the fact there might be no future children for me, but I have come to accept that."

He stood and so did the others. Each of them was at full attention. Trying not to be bothered by their guilty expressions, he shook hands with all four of them.

When he reached Alexander, the man looked up at him. "Sir." He nodded his head, before clearing his throat. However, before he could say anything, Washington stopped him.

"Get some rest. You need it." Turning to face the others, he whispered, "You all need it as much as I do. We have work to do tomorrow, work that promises the future of our country."

Nodding and waving their goodbyes, the men walked down the steps of his home, heading their separate ways. As they disappeared towards the horizon, all of them turned back, giving their commander one last look.

The General sighed, bowing his head back in response. He was thankful for their delicacy towards the subject. At least they listened and gave him the respect he needed.

But would they truly understand? He knew that the answer was no. Not until they met someone who touched their heart in a way they had never felt before. He hoped they would each get to have some satisfaction of having a child of their own.

Even though he knew that having his own child would be unlikely, he wished only the better to come to his young soldiers.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
A/N: Thank you ruff1258 for the request! This one was interesting. I did some research about it and apparently it could have been some dysfunction or syndrome that caused him to never have any children. Got quite a few more to write, thank you for all the requests!