Our Secret

Requested by: XXSetMyMindFreeXX

The whipping winds from outside were threatening the passerby who scurried back into their homes. If they had known what the weather would be like, anyone in their right mind would have not ventured out in the first place. One of those people disobeyed the winds and continued on their journey, sticking out like a sore thumb in the twirling snow.

Clutching something to her chest, the woman hustled down the avenue. She only had to make it a few more houses and then she would have made it. Her feet sunk into the increasing snow piles and a sense of panic sliced into her heart. But she trudged on quickly.

The only house on the street with a wreath on was her destination. She spotted it and side stepped onto the walkway. Taking the stones two at a time, the cloaked woman reached the door. Her fist knocked once then twice.

Another woman opened the door. Before she could even welcome the person, she was swept off her feet and backward into the door as the other woman pushed her way through. By that gesture, it was obvious who had entered.

"Maria," she hissed under her breath. One part of her wanted to tell the woman to run far away, while the other was shouting for her to stay. Removing her snow covered cloak, the woman smiled.

"Did you miss me, Eliza?" She hurriedly shut the door, carefully holding an object to her side. Eliza shivered at the cold burst of air being cut off from the home. Her nightgown swished from side to side as she tried to grab the attention of her visitor.

Stunned, she only replied, "You have no right to know. What are you even doing here in the dead of night? Someone could have seen you, I-" She stopped her words short as the woman across from her touched her hand.

"And what are you hiding? Our relationship is simple. There's nothing for us to conceal from the public, right?" Maria sighed, tracing a circle on her friend's hand.

Eliza gulped down the lump forming in her throat. Her heart was warming up at the touch, even though she knew it was wrong to. Maria was her friend, just here to comfort her. Not to make her feel any other way.

"You're right." But was she? Biting the edge of her lip, Eliza tried to recall the times her friend had visited. Some of their evenings together ended in unlikely circumstances or arguing. If this one could end in those unlikely circumstances again, she knew it would set her brain on the right path again.

Maria took the object that was wrapped in a cloth out. She held it in the space between them, hands trembling. "It's for you. We've talked of having something that would keep our hearts and minds close and I wanted you to have it to remember me by." Eliza took the small box from her, looking at her questionably, before ripping the cloth off.

She lifted the lid delicately, glancing at her friend silently. But when her eyes fell back on the object inside the box only a gasp managed to leave her lips. Lying in the center of the box was a necklace. The center jewel was engraved with her own name. On the flip side was her friend's name, the side closer to her heart.

"God, this must have cost you a fortune." She wrapped the necklace around her fingers, letting it slip between the gaps. Maria watched her in awe. Her heart was beating at an accelerating rate.

"The only thing that's worth a fortune is getting you to look in my direction."

Eliza looked up at her, blinking in a confused manner. She didn't get to say anything before she felt a pair of lips graze her own. A blush soon followed the gesture. Touching her lips, knowing how much of a flirt her friend could be, she murmured, "Oh, you."

Managing to break into a smile, she hung her head low. "Best be on my-"

"Wait, would you put it on for me?" Eliza held the necklace in an outstretched hand. The other woman picked it up and nodded for her to turn around. Lifting her hair from her neck, Eliza let out a deep breath just as the jewels were placed on her neck.

On that note, Maria gave her a soft murmur of well wishes before reaching for the door handle. Just having turned it, she felt a hand touch her back gently. But she didn't return the gesture that time. Only a few steps swept her out of the door just as quickly as she came.

Frozen in the doorway of her home, Eliza watched the woman cloaked in black vanish around the street corner. A frigid burst of air hit her in the face, but she didn't budge. Snow could cover the front hall of her house for all she cared.

With so much coldness having entered her home in the past few months, the kiss and touch she had received from Maria had been the only warmth she had felt. She raised a hand to her lips again. Something about it made her shiver in the most unpleasant way.

Behind closed doors, their relationship would surely blossom. So for however long they stayed close, their stolen kisses and gift exchanges would be sure to stay hidden from anyone but themselves.

. . . . . . . . . .
A/N: Thank you XXSetMyMindFreeXX for the request! I hope you liked this, I tried to make it so they had something of a relationship growing, but also that secretive feeling to it as well. Nothing as scandalous as the actual affair, just some touchy feelings for the pairing.