Chapter 40

The next few days were stressful for Red. He was beating himself up over the stuff Heather had said to him. He was having his nightmares again. Every night Red would wake Barney up, screaming like he was being murdered. He'd have to shake him awake and hold him for an hour before he finally calmed down and finally went back to sleep. Eventually, he turned into Blue. Pudding spent more time by his side than ever. Constantly rubbing up against him or whining. Like she was trying to remind Blue that he was never alone. It made Barney feel a little better about going back to work. He felt awful about it, but they had to pay the bills. Thanks to Green, he was now functional enough to go back. The doctors called it "a miracle" that Barney wasn't paralyzed, but they all knew better. Adam gave him a longer lunch break to let him go check up on Blue and Pudding. 

Blue spent his days huddled under blankets with Pudding. Yellow was constantly trying to convince him to sing. 

Singing will lift your spirits! He insisted. Music heals the soul. 

He knew that he should take Yellow's advice. After all, Yellow was the leading expert on happiness. But he couldn't find his voice. Green was always scolding Yellow, telling Yellow to let Blue grieve in peace. But Yellow was having none of it. He was determined to find a way to make Blue happy again. 

I'm not going to let him stew in his depression. Yellow said. We're going to find a way to lift him out of this. 

Blue appreciated Yellow's concern for him. He really did. But he didn't know if it was possible to help him. He was in a very dark place. Green knew it. Everyone knew it. But Yellow wasn't the kind to sit back and let unhappiness run rampant. 

Tell me, Blue. Yellow cooed. Why are you sad? 

"I... I can't." Blue cried.

Why not? Yellow asked. He sounded hurt. I'm your brother. You know you can tell me anything.

"Nngh..." He groaned. "Neh... Navaeh."

Yellow waited patiently for Blue to continue. 

"We orphaned her." Blue said solemnly. "We know how that feels. But we took away her parents. Her family..."

Heather was wrong. Yellow insisted. It's not our fault. 

"Maybe it isn't." Blue agreed. "But it is wrong to leave her alone."

You don't mean...

"We made a family." Blue interrupted. "It's only right that we share it with her. She is our family. The last one. Come on... Please. She's our only family left."

I think that's a splendid idea, Blue. Pink chimed in. I would be honored to be that girl's mother.

They do say blood is thicker than water, right? Orange agreed. 

I'm sure Pudding would love Navaeh. Red said.

Blue smiled weakly. "Yeah."

Now all we need is for Barney to cooperate. Green pointed out. He hasn't talked about kids yet.

Pudding is our baby. Yellow said stubbornly. What's the difference between Navaeh and Pudding?

Yellow. Pink scolded gently. This is Barney's house. Besides, dogs are nothing like children. Children are a lot of responsibility. He respects that we aren't ready to have sex, so we should respect him if he's not ready for kids.

Yellow huffed impatiently. Whatever.

Watch it. Green said. You're beginning to sound like me.

Don't encourage him. Pink told Green. 

                –•❤️💛💚💙💜•–

Barney arrived home to see Pink sitting on the couch. But what was odd was the fact that she wasn't doing anything. She didn't have a book in her lap. The television wasn't on. She was just staring Barney down.

"We have something that we need to talk about." Pink said seriously.

"Oh!" Barney gasped. "Okay!" 

He scrambled to sit across from her. "What is it?"

Pink sighed. "As you know, I am the color of love and motherhood." She began. "So it would only be appropriate that I would be the one to tell you this."

"Oh god." Barney moaned. "You're pregnant?"

"What?" Pink gasped. "No! No! We haven't had sex yet!"

"Oh thank god." Barney breathed. 

"But we are having a child." Pink continued.

"What now?" 

Pink sighed. "Alright. So you know my cousin, Navaeh?"

Barney nodded. 

"We want to adopt her."

He nodded again. "Okay. Is there a reason why?"

Pink was impressed. He was taking this rather well. This encouraged her to continue. "Well, she's my family. The only family I have left...."

Barney hummed in understanding. "This is about Heather."

Well, she wasn't going to lie to him. She said yes. Barney smiled. "Of course. I'm sure she's a great kid."

Pink giggled excitedly and lunged for Barney. He was shocked. He had never heard Pink giggle before. And now she was hugging him. Barney grinned and returned her embrace. Oh yeah, he was ready to be a parent. He loved kids. And he knew that his partner would too. 

===========================

I know it's short and shitty, but I have writer's block and this chapter is basically just about them adopting a kid. It doesn't have to be special, it just has to get my point across. They're starting their own family together! I'm so fucking hype right now.

-💕 Bubblegum 💕