Chapter 25

New chapter, bitches. Some more violence and paranoia. Plot as fuck. So hold onto your panties.

===========================

It was an unusually sunny day for Seattle. Red was out on a walk. He had decided to stretch his legs and take his allowance with him. There was all kinds of things he could do. Seattle was a large city. A city of diversity and opportunity. He could go get a cream puff of mochi on the same street. On the next street he could buy some scented candles or that pretty dress he wanted to try on. With the money Barney had given him in his pocket, he could get anything that was twenty dollars. Life was good. The day was open. He could tell it was going to be a good one.

                –•❤️💛💚💙💜•–

Bengal watched him. It really wasn't all that hard to keep track of him. He might as well have been a walking bullseye with his bright red hair and onesie. He was a cute boy. But Bengal knew the danger that lay underneath that innocent face. He had seen firsthand what had happened to his brothers. Experienced the voodoo he had forced upon his mind. He couldn't close his eyes at night without seeing that horrible vision.

The Vacktor boy was in his sight. He was going down. Never before had he been so determined to take down a target.

"He's coming." Bengal said into the receiver. "Currently on Crossroads heading towards the Crossroads mall. There's a lot of witnesses in the area. Should we wait until he goes to a more secluded place?"

Boss heard the Intel through the radio. It was time to consider his options. Post men throughout all the bathrooms in the shopping center and wait for the Vacktor boy to take a piss, or have Bengal follow him and see where he goes. If they were caught in the operation, his chances were over. They had to be careful. Their number of men was low as it was. They couldn't have any more men risking getting caught or dying.

It was time to make a choice.

"No." Boss said. "Just keep following. I'm sure he'll be alone at some point. Then we strike."

"Yes sir." Bengal replied without a moments hesitation. He had learned not to question the Boss long ago. It was best just to listen to what he had to say. Usually it turned out alright.

He pulled his hood up further to properly cover his face and continued forward, keeping his eye on the Vacktor boy as he stepped through the shiny glass double doors to the shopping mall.

–•❤️💛💚💙💜•–

Red looked longingly through the store window. There was the beautiful dress he had been longing to buy for so long. It was so pretty and he wanted to try it on. But he was shy and it was too expensive. He only had twenty bucks because he hadn't brought his credit card. He didn't feel comfortable with that. Especially after the incident with the Black Leopards. It was too much to carry around. It felt more like a threat to his life than a good way to use his money. Remembering the incident he shuddered, walking faster.

Behind him Bengal picked up his pace as well to keep up with Red. Why was he in such a hurry.

He heard someone running behind him. Immediately fear spiked inside of him. Was someone following him?! No, no. Think rationally. It was probably just some kids playing around and they just happened to be playing tag right behind him.

But when Red looked over him shoulder, he saw a man in black running after him. His eyes were locked onto Red with a determined look that was unmistakable. Red was being followed.

He took off screaming. Everyone in the mall was looking their way now. They parted easily, not wanting to get run over by Red. The way he was sprinting told them he was not going to stop to go around them.

People were screaming now. Red was screaming with them. That's when other men jumped out from the crowd. Men in black. It was an ambush. He didn't have Barney there this time. He was all alone.

"NO!" He screamed, running and slamming into the mall doors. Desperately shoving them aside and jumping out onto the sidewalk. He booked it. Not looking back. Desperate to put as much distance between him and the men.

The people on the streets weren't aware of the drama in the mall. They were confused when a crazy man in a red dinosaur onesie came sprinting towards them at full speed. Screaming for help. They were confused. That is until they saw the mass of men following him. Men in black. Then they were scared. Mothers shielded their children. Men ran in fear. One or two people quickly dialed the police. He heard their voices as he ran past.

"The Black Leopards are out here at Crossroads! They're following a man in red dinosaur pajamas! Please help us!" One hysterical woman begged. Red ignored her, zipping past quickly. His feet pounded the pavement. His lungs tightened painfully. Everything hurt. But he didn't stop. He kept running. Running out of fear of what they would do when they caught him. No. Not when. If. He had to keep hope. At this thought, he picked up the pace.

The crowds disappeared behind him and he hit traffic. Cars screeched it a halt and honked angrily at Red as he leapt in front of them. He paid no heed to them. Just kept going. They were still in hot pursuit. No. They were getting closer. Red felt panic take over. He couldn't scream for help anymore. He didn't have enough air in his lungs. All air had to be conserved for running. The chase was tiring. He was so out of shape. He didn't know how he had kept running for this long.

"Help me!" Red gasped. But no one heard him. He almost collapsed with the effort. He was slowing down. With the last of his energy he stumbled to the side. His delirious mind told him that maybe if he was in an alley they would run past and not see him. Deprived of oxygen and exhausted, it seemed like a good idea. But they followed him.

He was trapped.