Chapter 39

They were called in the next day to the police station. "We reviewed your evidence." The secretary from yesterday told Red. "And we arrested her immediately. She's responsible for the kidnapping and murder of Thomas Zacherson Gaylen. The parents are devastated. You... Don't have to prove anything to me."

Red shook his head. "No. I want the world to know who I am. I'm taking that DNA test."

"Are you sure?" She asked, sounding uneasy.

"Positive." He said. "Can you take my blood at the station?"

"I... Can arrange something. Be at the station in one hour."

"Understood." Red said. He hung up the phone and turned to Barney, who was patiently waiting on the couch.

"We're going back to the police station." Red announced. Barney nodded. He loaded them into the car and started driving. Red states out the shotgun window the whole time. Part of him was anxious to reveal who he was. He knew the danger. He knew there would be a lot of questions that people would be asking. Questions that he didn't want to answer. Questions he didn't know the answer to. But he wanted them to know. He hated all the lies. Red was done with running. He was ready to live his life out in the open. Ready to stop being afraid and finally be proud of who he was. He wanted to be proud of himself. Be the kind of person Barney was happy to say "that's my boyfriend."

The secretary from yesterday didn't look as skeptical to welcome them in as she had yesterday. She stood up. It was like she was really looking at Red for the first time. Her eyes were full of wonder.

"Are you really Red Vacktor?" She whispered. It was so quiet that Red almost didn't hear it. But he just smiled.

"I did say I'd prove it to you, didn't I?" He rolled up his sleeves. "I'm going to keep my promise."

She led Red into the back room. He winced at the sight of the needle. Barney grabbed Red's hand.

"I won't let them do anything you don't want." Barney whispered. Red nodded. He was still nervous, but Barney being there made him feel better.

He whined when they stuck it in. Barney let Red squeeze the life out of his hand. "It's okay." He assured Red. "They're almost done." Red hissed through his teeth when they pulled it out. Barney stroked Red's hair.

"You were so good." He whispered. "You're getting better at this."

"I still hate needles." Red said.

Barney chuckled. "Me too."

The police and the secretary came in. "Alright. We sent the blood samples off." She said. "Do you want to meet your aunt now?"

Red looked up at her. He seemed shocked at her proposal. Seeing one of his relatives for the first time. The first... And the last. He should take the opportunity before he misses it. He knew that. But he hesitated. Was he really ready for that?

"Do you want me to come with you?" Barney asked Red quietly. This was it. He nodded.

"Yeah." Red finally decided. "I want to see her."

"Follow me." The secretary said. They did. Past a few holding cells. The criminals glared at them as they passed. Each one looked different. Some were big, burly men that looked like bikers. Others looked like they could have been grandmas. Another was just a teenager. Practically a child. Red averted his eyes.

They were lead to a dimly lit room. A single bulb hung over Heather. She was looking down at her wrists, which were handcuffed and lying on her lap. Her hair was hanging in her face. It was bleach blonde, but now that Red was up close he could see that her roots were grey. One of the officers pulled a pair of chairs out for them. Barney and Red sat down on the opposite side of the table. That's when she looked up at them.