24) Consequences

Back at our apartment, I sat down on the recliner with an old phone book on my lap.

"Marshall," I called out, knowing he finished his shower and was changing into his clothes. "I'm gonna start making phone calls to invite people to the wedding. Do you have a list ready?"

"Wai....what??" He shouted from inside the bedroom. "We never even planned out a date for this yet!"

"Yes we did, I told you, March sixteenth! That way we have eight weeks to plan it."

"You're killin' me, Tori." was all he groaned from the other room.

I flipped open the phone book and looked at all the numbers I had. In a separate notepad, I began hitting down a list of people I could invite, though it wasn't very long. I only talked to a few hometown friends and about three or four family members. I imagined Marshall's list to look fairly similar.

Right as he stepped out of the bedroom in fresh clothes, Marshall began heading towards the kitchen fridge.

"Hey, can you check if Gia fell asleep yet?" I was referring to her crib that was laid out in the living room so Marshall and I could watch her. All she could do at this age was eat sleep and cry.

"What's wrong, your legs busted?" he joked.

"Well, no, I figured you were already standing." I explained as I got up off the chair.

I leaned over the crib and noticed Gia lying down with her eyes completely shut.

"So, anyways I've been thinking.." I started off.

"Uh-oh, that's never good." Marshall joked while looking through the freezer.

I rolled my eyes.

"Anyways. Why don't we just make this wedding really small? Just invite the few people we talk to on a regular basis and not stress as much over it."

"Isn't that what we were gonna do anyways?" He raised an eyebrow while pulling out frozen waffles from the freezer. I shrugged my shoulders.

"I guess — I just didn't realize what few people would be attending."

"Then why are we stressing it?" He popped the two waffles into the toaster and began shifting the timer. "Honestly, let's just get married in a church or some shit with a few of our buddies and have that be it. No party or real gathering. It would make things so much easier."

"You're right." I sighed. "Formal wedding's off. We'll just, find some sort of priest or minister and have him marry us. Maybe we can invite Paul, DeShaun, and all of D12,"

"Man that's right, I got Dre to fly them out here." Marshall exclaimed while grabbing the waffles out of the toaster. "They gon' be livin' in LA wit me now. D12's bouta get famous too."

I took a seat across from him at the kitchen table. I sighed while leaning my head into my hand.

"Slow down babe, you're still in the process of making it big. And besides, where are they all gonna live?" I asked while raising an eyebrow.

"I'm making enough money now to get them some nice hotel rooms, don't worry about it."

"Alright." I sighed. I couldn't wait for everything to just settle down already.

"Well," Marshall began with a mouthful of waffle. "I gotta get goin'." He noticed my stressful expression, then ran his hand down my hair. "Don't worry baby, we're gonna find time to get married. I promise." He kissed me on the forehead. "Goodbye."