16) Baby Mama Drama

*Interlude of 2 months later
Date: December 10th, 1998
*Marshall's POV*

Ever since the release of my cassette tapes [containing Just Don't Hive a Fuck and Brain Damage], I've slowly began making a name for myself. My tapes have been selling pretty good. I've done a few interviews for some magazines, but it wasn't enough for the world to recognize me. Although, few people have pointed me on the streets. My underground fanbase was rising, I knew that for sure. I was still working on my second studio album, Slim Shady LP, which would be be released in the next month if everything went as planned.

***

"She's do any day now." I explained to Dre while taking a hit out of my blunt.

Dre and I had gotten pretty close in the last couple months. We liked to spend our time in the studio, getting high and just chilling. It helped me come up with better song ideas.

"And what's that like?" Dre asked while taking a hint from his blunt as well.

"It's a pain in the ass, man." I sighed while scratching my cheek. "I mean, I'm still new to all this baby shit. And yet she expects me to know how to prepare for everythin'."

"Yeah, I feel you man." Dre said, nodding his head. "That's how it was for me and my first kid."

"The other day, Tori was bitchin' at me 'cause I never organized the baby shower she's been wanting." I began impersonating Tori in an annoying exaggeratingly screechy girl voice; "You always out doin' somethin'! You neva spend time with me no more! You neva even planned a baby shower for me, how could you?-- bitch you think you the only thing that fuckin' matters to me right now?? I got a fuckin' career to make! I don't got no time for no baby shower. I'm out here bustin' my ass in the studio, tryna make a betta life for our new family. And you out here bitchin' all the goddamn time like you don't care."

I took another puff while shaking my head. "Shit, if I knew she was gon' be this needy I would've left her ass back in Detroit."

Dre laughed immediately at that. "Maaan, you know that last part ain't even true."

"What'chu mean?"

"I mean, you wouldn't have left her ass."

I started laughing, not taking him serious. He continued.

"Oh come on Em. I've gotten to know you over the past couple'a months. You talk about that girl nonstop! I mean, you're engaged for chrissake!" He leaned back and chuckled.

"Yeah, but Dre, you don't understand. I mean, she can be such a pain in the ass sometimes--"

"All bitches are. That's the way it goes. Take it from me. My girl could be a real bitch sometimes. But look at us now, we married and just had our first son togetha last year. And I couldn't be happier." He leaned forward while taking another hit. "You see what I'm sayin' dawg? Sometimes you jus' gotta put up with the bitchin' if you really down for the lady."

"Yeah you right, man. But it ain't jus' that--" I swatted my hand, leaning back into the sofa. "Eh, forget it."

"Hol' on now. Forget what?"

"Nothin' man."

Dre furrowed his eyebrows together. "C'mon, we tight, dawg. You can talk to me."

I laughed a little.

"Nah man. I'm gettin' too deep with this. I'm a man. Men don't talk about their feelins n' shit."

"Nah." Dre stated firmly. "Boys don't talk about they feelins. Men do. So wassup?"

I thought for a moment, then finally decided to open up.

"It's jus', the other day, Tori and I was at each other's throats. You know, like usual. And well, after finally settlin' down, she stumbled upon some of my not-so-friendly lyrics about her in my notepad. And you know me, I don't hold back wit my lyrics. I go all out."

"So she flipped shit?"

"Hell yeah. She thinks I mean the shit I wrote. But you know how I am, I write shit that I feel or I want to do in the moment, not somethin' I believe in in real life. And in the moment, when we fight, she makes me angry. So I write about it. That's all."

"Uhuh.." Dre nodded his head to show that he was listening.

"So uh anyways, after that she got to thinkin' that I don't really love her. I mean she flat out told me; You're only stayin' for the baby.. The only reason you're still even with me is for our daughter."

"Damn.." Dre felt his chin while thinking. "And did you explain otherwise?"

"Yeah man. I kept tellin' her she was wrong and that shit was crazy to think. But she won't believe me."

"Well, then, is she right?"

"Fuck no." I cursed. "C'mon Dre you know that."

"Exactly, I know that because you just told me. Now pretend I'm someone who don't know that. Pretend I'm like her and don't believe you. How would you explain it to me?"

"Well, I'd say-- man, I dunno." I sighed annoyingly while taking a puff of my joint.

"Come on man, just tell me how you feel about her."

"Aight," I sighed and opened up to him again;

"Me and Tori, we been through our drama and shit. But I'd be bald-faced lyin' if I said I don't love her or I'm with her because of our daughter,"

I cleared my throat and placed the blunt down on top of the coffee table.

"I'm with her, 'cause I really wanna be with her, you know?" I wiped my hands over my eyes and sighed. "I love that girl, man. I really do."

"Aight, man. That's the truth, I can feel it. So why don't you say those exact words to her?"

"Man, I dunno. I neva liked talkin' about my feelins to females.. I always fuck up what I'm tryna say.."

"Yeah but this ain't no regular female, it's your fiancé. You should feel comfortable around her."

"I do feel comfortable around her, it's not that. It's jus', I worry too much about how to say things to her and it ends up makin' em come out even worse." I stood up off the couch. "Look, enough relationship talk, man. The weed's kickin' in. Let's hit the studio."

"Say no more." Dre lifted himself off the other sofa and took a seat by the mixing board.