Chapter 20: Denial and Realization

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, I was cut off by the sound of the castle's paramedics. They pushed me to the side and pulled Vincent on to the stretcher. I wiped my tears from my eyes, but it was no use. They kept coming.

The security guard stood beside me with tissue paper. I took them and blew my nose. "Th-thank you," I hiccupped as I stared up at the large, intimidating man. He looked at me strangely, as if I was some sort of alien.

"W-what," I hiccupped. I wasn't crying as bad as I was anymore, but the hiccups were still there and so were the redness in my eyes.

"Is there something going on between you and His Majesty," he asked suspiciously.

I cocked an eyebrow at him. Vincent and I haven't been with one another since we bathed together and that was a while ago. That thought sent shivers down my spine.

"Are you okay," he asked, noticing my slight shiver.

"Yes, I'm fine. But, no, there is nothing going on between us," I said dismissively. I began to walk away, but was tugged by my arm.

"I've heard a lot about you and the Prince. There's no reason for you to lie," he said soberly.

I scrunched my face and yanked my arm away from him. "Sir, whatever you heard is not true. I can assure you, Vincent and I-"

"That tells me right there that you two had an affair. You're even on first name bases with him," he accused.

"Many people call him by his name when he's not around," I shot back.

"Not true. So, you're the crowned prince's mistre-"

Before he and I knew it, my fist collided with his jaw, sending his head to his right. He snapped his head back in my direction as I sent him a venomous glare. This man is not going to call me anything out of my name.

"I am no mistress, whore, slut, anything of the sort," I said angrily, my fist balled up at my sides.

Unfortunately, I hadn't expected the security guard to retaliate. His palm quickly smacked my right cheek. The impact was so strong, my body was caught off balance.

I gently placed my hand on my cheek and stared in shock at the polished floor. I can't believe this man put his hand on me! Has he lost it?!

"Don't ever hit me like that again! If you're going to hit like a lad, you're going to get treated like a lad," I heard him threaten. The clean, proper accent he had vanished in that one sentence; he had the sonority of a sailor.

His heavy footsteps and dangling key chain resonated a small distance away from me, as if he was leaving. "And indeed, you are the prince's whore. Unless he marries you, that's all you'll ever be," he said before I heard him leave.

I am no man's whore.

I got up to my feet and headed down the hall to where my cleaning tools were. I proceeded to cleaning up the mess in Vincent's bathroom, praying that he'll be ok, as well as ignoring the painful stinging sensation on my cheek.

I made sure that the bedroom and bathroom were completely spotless before turning off the lights and finally heading down to the Servant's Quarters.

I looked at the time on my watch. 11:28 P.M.

The other maids and servants were probably sound asleep. I went to my bedroom and prepared clothes for myself. Then, I headed to the showers. I scrubbed every part of my body, except for my legs and stomach, I washed those areas with a gentle lather. I know my legs were stinging and slightly bleeding, but for some reason, I couldn't feel it. I felt numb, and nauseous.