The truth (finally)

Three weeks after Saura came to the city, she and Sayo were eating muffins in Lin's kitchen. Then their mother opened the front door and barged into the kitchen.
"Girls, stop eating. We're having dinner on Air Temple Island in ten minutes." Lin said. She ushered the girls into their rooms with instructions to get changed into nice clothes. The girls both came out of their rooms wearing semi-formal dresses in their usual respective colors, hair down. The trio made it to the island in a matter of minutes and strutted right into the dining room.

Tenzin was sitting down to eat with his family when his ex-girlfriend barged in with two teenage girls.

"Lin! What are you doing here?" Tenzin said in a surprised tone

"Oh good the whole family's here. You have two kids Tenzin." Lin said

"No, I have three children. Ikki, Meelo, and Jinora." Tenzin clarified.

"Oh, then you have five kids. This is Sayo and Saura, your daughters." Lin said in a bored tone

Sayo was practically bouncing with excitement and Saura just looked bored. Pemma and Tenzin were shocked to say the least. Ikki and Jinora were excited to have two cool sisters, and Meelo was complaining about having too many women around. It was then that Tenzin spoke, "How did this happen?" He asked in a small voice.

"It's simple really. Before we broke up, we did adult things. You broke up with me the day I was going to tell you about the pregnancy. I stayed with your mother for a year in the South Pole. These two grew up with Korra and your mother. Sayo is a metalbender so she's recently been in Republic City with me. Saura is an airbender. She's been training with the Acolytes. They turn sixteen in a week...Did I miss anything?" Lin asked as she turned to the twins. They shook their heads in unison. "So yeah, that's the story of your daughters." Lin explained.

Tenzin looked at a loss for words "Airbender?" He asked incredulously, his jaw dropping to the floor.

"Nice to see that I'm remembered." Said Sayo sarcastically. 

"I guess that explains the tattoos." Remarked Jinora

Pemma was fuming. "You did...adult things and never told me?" She screeched furiously.

"It didn't concern you." Snapped Saura and Lin at the same time. They looked at each other and Sayo just started cracking up.

"Err...Why don't you sit down?" asked Tenzin awkwardly. As soon as the women sat, they were pelted with questions by Ikki, Jinora and Meelo. Tenzin was trying to remember everything that was said while simultaneously avoiding Pemma's death glares. Lin was cramming food into her face and quickly becoming tired of Pemma's behavior. 

Then, Meelo asked the most hilarious question ever. He said: "Mommy, what are adult things?" Saura, Sayo, Lin, and Jinora all laughed like a monster was tickling them. Pemma was trying to shut Meelo down, Ikki was just looking confused, and Tenzin was trying to figure out exactly how Jinora knew about this topic. Once the laughter dissipated, Pemma said, "You'll know all about it when you're older sweetie." This sent the previously mentioned women into a fit of giggles. "Man I love my family." Said Sayo as everyone started eating again. This continued on for another fifteen minutes. When everyone finally finished their meal, Tenzin offered to keep the girls for the night in order to talk to them and get to know his daughters better. They both agreed, although Saura a bit grudgingly. 

And so, Lin Beifong left her daughters in the hands of their father. 'Please don't let him kill them.' she thought as she left Sayo and Saura with Tenzin for the time being.