A Twist of Fate

"You should have seen Air Temple Island after Tenzin broke up with me."
-Lin Beifong

Lin was confused to say the least. Tenzin had requested that she come to Air Temple Island to "talk some things out" as he put it. Surely he couldn't have found out? No. There was no way. She had only told Katara. Lin had never wanted children anyway and he would never suspect it. (Even though they had gotten a bit...intimate a short while back)

She made her way to the dining hall, where she and Tenzin had agreed to meet. He was the only one there, sitting stone-faced and silent. Lin hesitantly took a seat across from him, brushing a stray strand of black hair out of her face.

"Lin I'm sure you're wondering why I called you here on such short notice but before I explain I want you to know that I only have everyone's best interests at heart." Tenzin started

"What are you on about Tenzin?" Lin asked with a hint of venom in her voice.

"Well Lin, as I'm sure you noticed, I am the last Airbender besides my father and we know that he will not have anymore children. Therefore it is my job to reproduce and eventually fill the earth with Airbenders. We both know that you never wanted children and you focus on your career a lot. So what I'm saying is that it would be best if we... broke up." Tenzin breathed out quickly. For a moment there was a deathly silence as Lin let the news sink in. Tenzin was leaving her. While she was pregnant with his child. And he didn't even know it. What was she going to do? She couldn't raise a child on her own. What if it was an airbender? All these thoughts and more raced through her mind. All she could say was

"It's because of that Pemma woman isn't it?"
Pemma was a young non-bender that had taken an interest in Tenzin. She was in perfect condition to bear and raise airbending children.

"What? No! This has nothing to do with her! I just told you why." But Lin was already storming out of the dining hall, seething.

This was not happening. Oh all of the headaches this would cause. She could always terminate the pregnancy. No, if this got out it would ruin her career. She ran through the temple. Just ran. The walls rumbled and shook. her metal clad feet thudded in the ground, imprinting on it and ripping it up. The structures crumbled. She was vaguely aware of people screaming to evacuate the temple. She kept on running. Eventually she found herself back at her apartment. She collapsed on her small bed, breathing hard.

What just happened?
Okay Lin, She thought, sort out the facts. My name is Lin Beifong. I am the police chief of Republic city. My boyfriend, Tenzin, the only airbending master since Avatar Aang died two weeks ago, just broke up with me and I may have just destroyed Air Temple island.
I am pregnant with Tenzin's child. He doesn't know that yet. If this gets out to the press it will be scandalous and might ruin my career. I have to leave the city before anyone finds out. I'm starting to get fat. I can't go to Zaofu, Suyin and I aren't on speaking terms. So far, only one other person knows that I am pregnant. Katara. She just went to prepare the base in the South Pole for the protection of the next avatar. I can go to her. The base is so remote that nobody needs to know anything and the White Lotus can take care of this child as well. I can go tomorrow and say that I need a break from Republic City for a while. Yes I will do that. Good talk Lin.

The police chief took off her armor and fell into a restless sleep.