CHAPTER 41

“Will you accompany me to the church?” Rose asked, looking at Jade as the young maid cleaned the table with her bandaged hands. She immediately looked up at and remembered the way she spoke to her that morning and instantly felt bad about what she had done. She felt horrible about her deeds, but somewhere deep down, her mind supported her actions. All she wanted now was to be far away from Rose because she did not have the courage to be with her alone and watch things take an awkward turn between them. So, she tried to escape.

 “I have work. I don’t think I can….” She countered back but was abruptly stopped by Rose.

“I have spoken to Martha. She will take care of the work until you get back.” Rose spoke with a tone of finality and Jade was slightly taken aback by this because she had never heard her speak this way to any of the other maids in the house. The urge to not go with her increased now, but at the same time she was scared that she would lose this job due to her personal interests and she would sure as hell get beaten up if she returned home after losing this opportunity.

“Okay.” She reluctantly agreed, and clutched onto the wet cloth in her hand.

Rose observed this hesitance and fear. Yes, she was hurt by what she spoke that morning, but at the same time she was ready to forgive her. Somewhere, Rose felt that Jade’s words were right even though she did not have the authority to speak to her that way. Rose could feel the changes in Jade; a lot indeed, but she remained quiet and just observed her. She was not the carefree person she was when she started working, something had changed, and Rose could easily find her pain because she herself had to travel down that rough road all those years back.

“You don’t have to be scared. We are still friends and I am not going to judge you by the words that left your mouth today morning. I understand that you were facing a few problems and did not like me questioning you about them. I completely understand.” She said, and watched Jade as she observed her body relax slowly.

“Go change your clothes Jade. I will be waiting down.” She said and smiled at her before she turned and walked away.

_------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Beautiful place, isn’t it?” she said with a smile, as she entered the church and walked down the aisle with Jade by her side.

When she did not get a reply, she turned towards Jade only to find her stiff and uncomfortable. Rose knitted her eyebrows in confusion and turned her head back without asking her anything. Even after assuring her that everything was alright between them, she remained uncomfortable around Rose. Something is wrong. I have to help her out. 

“Let’s sit here?” Rose asked once again as she pointed out the bench that she wanted to sit on.

“Okay.” Jade replied, and followed Rose to the left row of benches and they sat on the same seat where Rose sat the last time she visited the holy shrine.

“Do you visit this place often?” Jade spoke out for the first time as they both sat next to each other observing the divine statue of Jesus in front of them.

“I used to when I lived here. I just stayed a few minutes away from here.” She spoke softly and felt the old memories rush in front of her eyes. “I haven’t come here since I moved in with Alex.”She said, and immediately turned her head towards Jade to wipe away the horrid past that she encountered with Brian.

“Oh okay, now that I’m here, I will accompany you whenever you want to visit the church and I’m sorry about today morning. I was in a mess and did not want to talk to anyone.”