Ch 6. Find Me If You Can

"Hello?"

"Miss Rachel Evans?"

"Yeah"

"This is Detective Kaden Rhodes calling from Elk Grove PD. Ma'am I need you to come down here for an interrogation procedure regarding Miss Hannah Chamberlain."

"Yes, I'll be there right away."

7 hours earlier (2.37 a.m.)

"Oh come on!" I cried and threw my phone on the bed. I had tried calling Hannah atleast 7-8 times but with no luck. I also messaged her but the message remained undelivered. Picking up my phone again I called Mrs. Chamberlain.

"Could you reach her?" She asked as soon as she picked up.

"No! Are you sure you asked all of her friends?"

"Yes, I only had Amelia's number so I called her first and she said Hannah wasn't with her so I got the others' numbers from her and called each one of them!" She said between heavy sobs.

"Mrs. Chamberlain, please calm down. Hannah's gonna be alright," I said trying to soothe her but as I said it, I doubted myself. If she wasn't with any one of them then where on earth could she be at this odd hour. I was worried as much as her mother but someone had to stay calm.

"We need to go..." I heard Hannah's dad saying.

"Rachel, please stay by the phone and let me know if she calls. We are going to the police station."

*****

Present time

I entered the waiting area and saw Sarah sitting over there.

"Rach! What the hell is going on?" She got up from her chair and came towards me, wide-eyed. In all the chaos that had happened last night, I had completely forgot to call Sarah. How did such a thing get out of my mind? And if she didn't know anything that meant Mrs. Chamberlain had not called her too. She must have assumed that we three would be together.

"Hannah's missing," I replied. My voice came out as a whisper.

Sarah's jaw dropped slowly and she widened her eyes more.

"Since when?" She started blinking rapidly and sat down again.

"Hannah's mom called me last night, I mean early morning around 2.30 a.m."

"Why didn't you tell me then! Oh my God, did her mom ask Amelia?"

"She called up everyone, including Amelia and her friends. No one knows where she is."

"Miss Sarah Marin?" An officer called out and we both turned to look at her.

"Let's go," she said and gestured Sarah to follow her. Sarah looked at me and I gave her a little nod.

Sarah went with the officer and I sat down where Sarah was sitting earlier. I took out my phone to see if there was any message from Hannah.

"Rachel?" A familiar voice called my name.

"Mrs. Chamberlain," I stood up and she brisk-walked towards me and hugged me. She had come from the direction where Sarah had just gone.

"She's still not home Rachel. Still not home," her voice was muffled and it seemed as if she was going to cry again. I patted her gently and told her everything was going to be okay.