Epilogue

Four years had passed by since Jared was killed in action in Afghanistan. The pain was there everyday, and I missed him just as much now as I did then. I stretched out on the couch, watching a rerun of ’House.’ I heard little feet padding down the hallway, drawing my attention away from the television. 

“Mommy,” came a small little voice.

“Oh, baby, why aren’t you asleep?” I asked. 

“I can’t sleep. Will you tell me my favorite story again?” came the sweet voice from the innocent little girl in Disney Princess pajamas, standing directly in front of me now. 

“Sure, angel,” I said softly. She climbed onto my lap and under the light throw blanket with me and snuggled in.  “Ready?” I asked. 

“Mm-hmm,” she mumbled, snuggling in even closer; getting comfortable.  

I ran my fingers through my daughter’s long black hair, and lightly brushed my fingers across the smooth skin on her face. She was the spitting image of her father.

“I was new in town…” I began, telling my daughter, Elle, the story of her hero, her father, Jared. 

THE END.

 "No one asks to be a hero; sometimes it just turns out that way..." --unknown.

"No greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for his friends.." -- John 15:13