Chapter 12

Today was the day; the first Hogsmeade visit of the year. Sitting at breakfast, I could hear the excited chatter of the students as they made their way to their seats in the Great Hall. It seemed that the entire environment of Hogwarts had changed; there was a positive, excited energy reverberating throughout the air. I was aware of more eyes on me as I walked to my place at the teachers’ table. I felt a bit uncomfortable, of course, but I was also flattered. This was the first time that I had worn any type of “normal” clothing here so, naturally, I would be getting some shocked looks.

“Katrina! Why you look lovely!” Wilhelmina exclaimed as I went to take my place next to her.

After the first day of lessons, I had taken to sitting next to her at meals. Most people assumed that I did this so that she and I could discuss lessons or plans for the day, but in reality, I sat there because she was one of the few people that I actually felt comfortable around. I knew that Snape was in the Order, but that did not mean that I had to trust him; there was something about that man that just made me nervous, like he was hiding something serious. Plus, he had never really liked me all that much. I was, of course civil and cordial to him, but on the inside, I was extremely uncomfortable around him, perhaps because I could not see him.

I had come to terms with my blindness and was normally fine with not being able to see people’s faces or actions, but when it came to people I did not trust, I was wary. Umbridge fell into that category too; I would not put it past her to try something just because I could not see. She assumed that I was weak, but that was her first mistake; with the acceptance of my condition, I had become much stronger, both mentally and physically. I had to be able to defend myself, protect myself in the face of danger, especially given my new assignment from the Order. I was convinced that if push came to shove, I would be able to hold my own against anyone.

“You do, Katrina. That outfit looks great on you,” Minerva complimented, shaking me out of my thoughts.

“Thank you both. I appreciate it. Are either of you going to Hogsmeade today?” I queried conversationally, trying to disguise the fact that I had been thinking about anything overly serious or grim.

“I’ll be going,” Minerva said lightly.

“I think I’ll be staying behind. I have some work that I need to finish for Monday,” Wilhelmina replied. I instantly felt bad; I had finished my work last night and had not even thought of offering help to her. I made a mental note to ask her if she needed help instead of just assuming that she would let me know.

“Well I hope you get everything done,” I smiled at her. “Let me know if you need any help. I could always stay behind and help...”

“Oh no, you’re going to Hogsmeade. Don’t worry about it. I’ll be finished in no time. There will be plenty of opportunities to go to Hogsmeade; I can go next time,” she said sternly, but kindly.

“Alright, alright. I’ll go. But honestly, if you need anything tomorrow, let me know. I’d be happy to help,” I grinned.

“Thank you, Katrina. I appreciate it. I’ll keep that in mind,” she replied.

“Hem, hem,” came an annoyingly familiar voice behind us. I bristled immediately, but tried to push those feelings aside and remain looking calm and collected.

“Good morning, Dolores,” Minerva sounded polite, but I could detect the sharp aggression behind her words.

“Minerva,” Umbridge said in a clipped tone, returning the aggression. It took no genius to figure out that those two detested each other. They would be polite to one another in public, but I could sense a sort of power-struggle going on between them. It would be interesting to see just how that played out later on this year, or, perhaps, even next year, but that would depend on how successful she was here at Hogwarts.