chap 1

Thanks for taking out time to read this.
Also other books by me;
1.mending a broken heart ,
2.perks of being kanuri,
3.the heart i Cherished ( sequel to mending a broken heart),
4. A cold day in hell.

⚫️⚫️⚫️⚫️⚫️

The life of this world is but a play and amusement: and if ye believes and guard against Evil, he will grant you your recompenses , and will not ask you(to give up) your possessions
{QURAN 47:36}
--------------------------------------------------

The life of this world is but a play and amusement: and if ye believes and guard against Evil, he will grant you your recompenses , and will not ask you(to give up) your possessions{QURAN 47:36} --------------------------------------------------

I finished observing my asr prayer when 'yagana my elder sister walked in.

Yagana means younger sister in kanuri. Though she's older than me , I do call her that because everyone at home does so.

I was still on the prayer mat, reciting my dua.
"Yagana sai kedim" ( Yagana when did you arrive)? I asked after completing my dua.

"Chare(Earlier)" she replied.
"tamo ni miya lene maah ya boojin(When you are done, you should go to mah,she's calling you)." She said before leaving.

I had no idea why mah, is calling but I do hope everything it's alright.

___________________

"Mah gani( am here, mum)" I said in hausa

My mum is fond of speaking in our mother tongue actually, it's a habit of every kanuri family to speak in their mother's tongue.
They hadly speak other languages,
But being me, I prefer English.

"Sit , we need to talk falmata".
I sat besides her and she began to speak;
"Kau baanim baajin Di, kraminziro lorusa nim chi na, kma lokta Di isina lorusando sadin. ( before your dad died he had promise your uncle to give him your hands in marriage ")
What !! , did I heard her right?.
Is mah alright?.
Am just only 16 , how could a 16yr old girl get married in this modern society my subconscious fought.
I kept quiet as she continues.
You could clearly see the disappointment in my eyes but somehow , she doesn't.
"and the time has come to fulfill that promise" says mah.
"I hope you will follow my instructions and help fulfil your father's promise" she said hoping for an answer.

As if I had any choice.
"Yes "I said forcing a smile on my face but my stupid eyes betrayed us.
"Are you crying dear?," mah asked as she shifts closer to me and wiped off my tears.
Trying to make me understand "Maah kanadi tai wande uro lorusa kama diwi har kma u chullu fa". ( I cried begging mah, am still young fa mah)
"I have spoken " she deadpans.

When mah, says something you better don't argue with her.
She kept blabbing in kanuri.
After what seems like eternity, I stood up.
"Askirgina mah" (thank you mah).

Yes, yes I agree.
I too didn't know why I thank her , after all she is trying to ruin our life before it starts, I defend myself against my raging subconscious.