Chapter 24: Fireside Thoughts

Start from the beginning

I also had absolutely no idea where the bowls and spoons came from. Someone must have packed them into their EC's, but I didn't know who. One moment I was wondering how we were going to eat the food that Kaylie had cooked, and the next she was handing out bowls of soup and spoons to eat the soup with. All I know is that it wasn't Lina or me that had them. I wouldn't even know what type of EC to look into for bowls and spoons. I couldn't see them as weaponry, they weren't edible, and they weren't exactly clothing either.

"Kaylie, you should come eat now too," I tell her.

"Once everyone else has some," She replies.

She was too sweet. Really. Way too kind-hearted. If she continues like this, I'm sure more than half of us would start taking advantage of her niceness, whether consciously or not. It was simply too easy to do. Kaylie was also neglecting herself by doing this. She constantly worried about others and forgot about herself.

The Alicia stands up. "Here, you sit down. I've already finished my bowlful. You go eat now, I'll serve everyone else."

Then again, there would also be people like Alicia who always thought of ways to overrule Kaylie's niceness and make sure that Kaylie looked after herself. That would probably be Kaylie's only way of ensuring that she didn't overwork herself of all the time. I really should have thought of doing that first, though, since I was the only one who was not incredibly tired.

I start to stand up. "Alicia, let me do that. You and everyone else here has been flying all day, I haven't."

She shakes her head at me. "I've finished eating, Rowena. You need to finish your meal. I've got this, don't worry."

"I can always finish later. It only going to take a little while until everyone's served. I can always finish my soup after."

Alicia hands a bowl to Isabella. "Exactly, it's only going to take a very short time, then I'm done. I'm not that tired and I can definitely serve soup, so you go sit down and finish your meal."

I give up trying to argue with her and go sit back down to finish my soup. Sure enough, Alicia finishes quite quickly and then fills one more bowl and walks over to where Kaylie is sitting leaning against a tree and hands the bowl to her. I watch absentmindedly as they interact. I can't hear them from over here as they are talking in low tones, but I can see as Kaylie breaks into a smile, obviously happy at something that Alicia has said.

Lina leans over to whisper in my ear. "They're cute together, aren't they?"

I turn my attentions to her. "What? Who?" I ask, confused at what she means.

"Alicia and Kaylie." She clarifies.

I look back over at them. They seem really happy just talking together, and the colour was coming back into Kaylie's cheeks. Until now, I hadn't really realised that she was so pale. It was slightly worrying. She was working herself into the ground, looking after all of us. She was doing this to the extent that she forgot to look after herself.