the boy with the butterfly bracelet

Don't know how I feel about this one, but hopefully someone will like it!

Vic sat cross-legged on the browning grass, his fingers twining through the pieces and plucking them from the dirt as he felt the cool October breeze wisp around him. On is wrist, wrapped around it was a thin bracelet, decorated by a small purple butterfly. It was special to the boy for reasons almost everyone didn't know. And, well, everyone knew who Vic was, just not in the best way.

They called him ridiculous things like 'butterfly boy' and underestimated him. Just because he had autism didn't mean he was oblivious. Hell, he's just as much human as anyone that went to his school. Usually, Vic sat on the grass during lunch to relax himself. He didn't like being surrounded by people who had a negative impact on his life.

It really was just like any other day: Vic was sketching randomness that represented the beauty in his mind, occasionally popping an apple slice into his mouth, but one thing occurred that made this particular day different. Sitting down on a near-by bench was Kellin. A very intelligent, cunning young man. He wasn't necessarily 'cool', but respected for his brilliant mind.

From where Kellin sat on the cold, metal bench, his cozy knit scarf enveloping his neck in warmth, he noticed Vic sat on the grass. It wasn't usual for Kellin to be outside for lunch, but today was absolutely gorgeous fall day, so he never realized this is where Vic went off to at lunch. If there was anyone who had faith in Vic at this godforsaken school, it was Kellin. There was no doubt in the youngest mind that Vic was more than just 'autism'. A word should never define someone, or their life. Most people forgot that there was a person behind that label that Vic had to walk around miserably with his whole life.

Kellin was currently taking a philosophy class and as he remembered the question he was given as homework, he suddenly realized there was no better person to give input on it than Vic. Kellin wanted his interpretation. The thing was, Vic's autism made it difficult to make friends or interact with people his age. As well, he had difficulty understanding others emotions and social ques. This made talking to people challenging for him, so when he suddenly saw this boy sit across from him, Vic got choked up.

"Hey, Vic. Good morning! I'm Kellin." Kellin smiled so wide and bright at Vic, wanting to show him that he was friendly but Kellin didn't realize that Vic didn't interpret things like most.

The Hispanic boy was overwhelmed by the sudden interaction with a person, that his big, brown eyes glistened with unshed tears.

"Hey. . ." Kellin whispered in a soft voice, "no sweetheart, I didn't mean to upset you. I just wanted to maybe talk."

Vic furrowed his brow, calming himself down internally, remembering what his mother told him to do when he felt his composure slipping. "Talk?" he questioned, a spark igniting inside of him. Vic wasn't sure if it was excitement or nervousness. Either way, he was intrigued. "About what ?"

The cool breeze tousled Kellin's silky, noir hair, making his cheeks flush. "Anything. I thought you could use some company."

Vic hummed in thought. "Yeah, I guess so. I'm not really doing much, t-though." The brunettes face scrunched when he stammered over his words. He hated when he did that. Vic, really, was articulate in his mind, but it never came out the way he planned. If people could see the beautifully formed sentences inside his head, they'd be astounded.

Vic never doubted himself, he was just unaware of the intelligence he bestowed. But Kellin. . . he knew that. It was only one person, but Vic wasn't going unappreciated.

The paler of the two noticed the drawing pad in Vic's lap. Sketched into the page was a scratchy looking fall scene. Not the best, but definitely better than average and beautiful none the less.

"That's really pretty," Kellin commented, watching a small smile appear on the others lips. Vic didn't know how to respond to a compliment, so he simply didn't say anything. Kellin didn't mind, Vic's smile was enough for him.

"Do you like art?" Vic asks, "I'm majoring in it."

Kellin giggled and nodded. "Yeah, I really like painting, but I'm not very good at drawing."

It was fascinating to Vic talking with someone. Naturally, he was born with poor social skills, but they only worsened when everyone avoided him. So he found this a learning experience.

Kellin looked around at the scenery in wonder, a nostalgic feeling washing over him as he remembered the days when he'd go out on Halloween night with his mom. After looking around, his eyes fell to what appeared to be a bracelet. Adorned on it was a small, black butterfly. He could sense that piece of jewelry meant a lot to Vic by the way he fumbled with the charm whilst nibbling at another apple slice. "I love your bracelet. It's so gorgeous."

Vic look up, surprised. Kellin's heart gushed at how adorable he looked. "Y-yeah. Um, it represents growth and discovering who you are. The butterfly starts off as this innocent, unknowing caterpillar, then one day evolves into this beautiful, radiant butterfly. One day, I'll retreat from my shell and find who I truly am."

The other adored how Vic talked. He thought he was exceptionally articulate. And the way he described the reason behind his bracelet was so deep and meaningful. He felt that small piece of jewelry really spoke to who Vic was as a person.

Silence loomed over the area for a minute as Vic formulated words in his head. He liked to think before he spoke, usually. "Kellin, may I ask, why did you bother to talk to me?"

For some reason, this made Kellin chuckle half-heartedly. "That's the thing, I don't find this a bother. I chose to talk to you because I wanted to and I wanted it to be a part of my day. I do not consider it a 'bother'."

Inside Vic's chest, he felt something ignite in a pleasant, warm burst. It was delighting to hear this from someone, especially someone who Vic was slowly beginning to adore. "Well. . . I really do appreciate it. I've always wanted to speak to someone at school."

A wide smile pulled at Kellin's lips. "No worries. It shouldn't be a favor, Vic. Anyway, I have to get to my classes now, but I'll hopefully see you again. Meet me under this tree tomorrow at lunch."

Vic giggled unintentionally at the news, waving lightly at Kellin as he walked away to attend his philosophy class. Along the way, he stopped to write the answer to the question he had been stuck on.

Define misunderstood beauty: Victor Fuentes