His sudden movement made me jump slightly, probably because I was so on-edge, but he only reached into his pocket and took his wallet out. He opened it and turned it to face me, pointing to a particular picture that was inside the see-through pocket.

It was me as a baby, that was for sure. I must’ve been quite a few months old, and it looked professionally taken, a shot of me smiling directly at the camera. The photo itself was pretty creased and looked like it had been folded many times, but it was still there. In his wallet.

“This photo,” He began to speak, tapping it lightly, “has been in every single wallet that I’ve owned ever since it was taken.”

Before I could say anything to that, he suddenly shot out of his chair, and pulled the bottom of his shirt up. I’d studied the tattoos on his arms since he took me inside, but the one on his stomach caught my attention.

It was on the right side of his stomach, and had me staring at it, tears nearly welling in my eyes.

He’d gotten the photo of me inside his wallet tattooed on him, and beneath it, a small bit of writing was also tattooed, reading “July 14th1993”.

That was the most heart-warming thing I’d seen in ages, but it still didn’t stop a few questions popping into my head.

“Okay...” I murmured, staring down at my hands again. “But if you didn’t forget me, why didn’t you try looking for me?”

“I did try.” He instantly replied. “But it was hard. Like, unimaginably hard.”

I wasn’t sure what it was then. Something clicked in me. An anger that I didn’t really know I had buried inside of me. Whether it was anger at my mother or the stress of the last couple of days was taking its toll on me, I didn’t know, but I felt myself get aggravated.

“Yeah?” I spoke up, digging my nails into my palms. “Well that shouldn’t have mattered. It’s been nearly eighteen years. Do you know what it’s been like for me?”

He sighed, sitting down and pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I can’t imagine.” He sighed sympathetically. “But it’s not been easy for me, either.”

“Oh, well, I’m sorry.” I stood up abruptly, childishly kicking the table as I did so. “I didn’t realise it’s been such an inconvenience for you. I’ll guess I’ll just go.”

“No, Jas—‘’

“I shouldn’t have come.” I interrupted him, already feeling a sob creep up my throat.

“Don’t go!”

I didn’t think I could’ve stood listening to him anymore. Despite the way he shot up from his chair, I yanked the door open and went running down the white corridor, trying not to trip over my own feet.

The corridor seemed to stretch further and further with each step I took, and for a moment or so, Jason was close to catching up with me, though I abruptly turned a corner.

And I happened to run straight into M Shadows. And it knocked me to the floor. And it hurt.

But I didn’t even care that the whole of Avenged Sevenfold were staring at me. I picked myself up and carried on running past them.

“Guys, help me out here!” Jason called to them from behind me.

It seemed a moment before there were more footsteps running from behind me, and I turned another corner, relieved when I saw the fire exit at the end of it.

I kept running until I reached the exit, pushing the door open and running out into the night air. Obviously, I didn’t stop going. I kept running, not really thinking about where I was going.

Until I met an alleyway.

An alleyway that just so happened to have five rowdy boys inside it, drinking and smoking, a distinct smell of weed venturing the air.

I didn’t have a chance to turn and run before they noticed me. The only one stood up, who seemed like the leader of the group, was the first to look at me. When the other guys noticed that they no longer had his attention, they also diverted their gazes to me, mirroring the smirk that the standing guy was wearing.

“Well, hey there.” He was the first to speak, throwing his empty beer can to the alley floor.

I licked my lips nervously, staring between him and the other guys. I didn’t know what to do. I was stuck.

Hello?” He repeated, his tone slightly humorous. “Do you speak?”

“I...” I started to say, my hands shaking.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” One of the guys sat down said. “Cat got your tongue?”

The rest of the guys sitting chuckled along, but the guy stood up merely tilted his head at me.

“Shut up, Joey.” He scolded. “Be nice to our guest.”

“I have to go.” I suddenly said, my tone frantic. I went to turn, but a hand landed on my shoulder.

“What’s the rush?” The leader of the group said. “Stick around for a bit. We don’t bite.”

“Yeah, we don’t bite.” One of the guys behind then said, and the others laughed again.

For a moment, my mind flashed to the group of hyenas from The Lion King, but I quickly snapped back into reality.

“Chris.” The leader warned. He glared at Chris for a moment, before smiling down at me. “Ignore those idiots. How about me and you go somewhere?”

“Hey, no fair!” The one named Joey yelled. “I want a piece of that!”

“Keep dreaming, Joey.” Leader guy laughed, turning to me yet again. “Come on.”

“I really have to go.” I said, my voice cracking. “Sorry.”

“Well, I’ll walk you.” He smirked. “Where are you headed, gorgeous?”

“No need.” A different voice suddenly said from behind me. One that sounded familiar, but I couldn’t exactly put a name to it. “She’s with me.”

I looked over my shoulder, not knowing who to expect. Only to see Zacky Vengeance staring at the alley guys with a stern glare.

“You can let go of her shoulder now.” Zacky then said. “She’s coming with me.”

“Oh yeah?” Leader guy mirrored his glare, stepping forward and trying to square up to him. “Says who?”

“Says me.” Zacky confidently said. “I’m warning you, I don’t like to hurt people, so I suggest you step away from me right now.”

“And what are you gonna do?” The guy sneered, eyeing Zacky’s facial piercings. “Shove a piercing needle into me?”

“I could do.” Zacky shrugged. “Or I could just punch you.”

The guy opened his mouth to speak, but was shut up by Zacky’s fist connecting with his face. Immediately, he clutched his bleeding nose, whining in pain as he dropped to his knees.

Zacky didn’t spare another glance at him as he grabbed onto my wrist gently, pulling me with him and running back out of the alleyway. I’d forgotten which way I’d been going, but he didn’t seem to have any problem finding our way back.

And as he ran with me, his hand still clutched to my wrist, I could only stare up at him.

My mouth open in absolute awe of the guy who had just saved me.