CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: SWITCH UP

Grayson decided that we should grab some food for the road. He has already pulled over to the nearest gas station and now we are walking around. I pick out my favourite snacks, Sour Patch Kids and Doritos. Grayson is a couple of aisles down, probably picking food that will actually last us a couple of days.

I continue to walk down the end of this tiny aisle so I can go to the back aisle that is filled with drinks. I walk up to the cold drinks and start thinking about my options. Ethan would appreciate it if I were to grab him something, but I don't remember what his favourite drink is. I should probably ask Gray. I turn around and walk to the end of the aisle that Grayson is in.

"Gray," I said loud enough so only he can hear. 

"What?" He asks still looking at the snacks in his aisle.

"What is Ethan's favourite drink?" I ask him.

"Why?" He sounds frustrated, streching out his words.

"Does it matter why?" I give him a bit of attitude.

"Well, we shouldn't waste money on a drink," he says still not making eye contact with me.

The lights in this shop are getting brighter and my head starts to pound. It shouldn't matter, it will go away.

"Why are you being difficult?" Who said I was going to buy him a drink? It is just a simple question," I say to him. I wonder why he is so upset. 

He turns to look at me. He has this shocked look on his face.  He is not running to me. I take a step back. 

"What are you doing?" He asks as he grabs my face. I look at him confused at what he is talking about.

"What am I doing? What are you doing?"

"Your eyes are shining," he whispers placing my head on his chest. "Put your eyes away."

"I can't," I say back. I couldn't even tell that my eyes were shining.

He is starting to walk, leading me with him. It is hard to walk since I can't see where he is taking me. He lets go of me and looks down at me. I look around and find us in the corner of store.

"Go into the washroom and figure it out," he says crossing his arms.

I have nothing to say to him. I open the door beside me that shows a cartoon girl on it. The smell hits me in the face. I walk in slowly. It feels like I am walking into death. I am starting to get light headed, but it is probably because of the scent.

I walk to the mirror and look at myself. I grip my hands around the sides of the sink and focus on changing my eyes back. It is so much harder then I thought it would be.

Knock Knock

"Are you done in there?" Grayson asks on the other side of the door.

"What do you think? Huh? You think this is easy?"

"Hurry," he says in a way that makes me imagine that he rolled his eyes. I wonder what has gotten into him.

I now feel like I should throw up. My whole body is starting to feel weak. I shut my eyes and focus on not fainting in this washroom. I need to focus on staying on my feet.

I open my eyes slowly, looking down at the sink. I look up at the mirror and notice that I am not in the same washroom, but my eyes are back to normal. I am now wearing a red, simple dress that cuts off an inch above my knees. I am wearing make-up, which I normally do not.

I look around the washroom. There are brown, shiny tiles on the walls and a perfectly clean toilet. The washroom is much bigger, and the scent has gone away. 

Where am I?