CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: DANGER UP AHEAD

We have been on the road for hours now. The sun set a long time ago. We continue to drive in darkness. We have found ourselves on a road surrounded by trees. There are no other cars around us making leaving us completely alone. The only light is the light from the moon, the lights in the car, and the car's head lights.

"Do you know how I became an alpha?" I ask Grayson. I have pushed away the curiosity but I can't help to wonder how. It does not hurt anyone to ask. 

"You're a true alpha," Grayson says. "You became an alpha a couple of days before you were taken."

"True alpha? How?" I ask. A true alpha is werewolf who does not need to kill another alpha to become one. Usually, alphas steal anyother alpha's power by killing them. A true alpha is a werewolf who gains the power by having the natural behaviour and strength to be one. It is not easy to become a true alpha. 

"You saved Wesley from dying by taking his pain away. He was shot with a bullet filled with mistletoe which is extremely poisonous to us. He was going to die that day," he says taking a pause. "You almost died saving him and by doing that you were granted the power of an alpha."

"Who would want to hurt Wesley?" I ask. It can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt Wes. 

"We are not sure who did it, but they never came back," Grayson says back in a confused tone. 

"So it is dangerous back home," I say thinking about the letter. In the letter it said that back home was dangerous. 

"Wesley told Ethan and I when you were taken that it was going to become harder for us to keep our powers a secret. He was the one who told us to find you and to bring you back home."

"The person... or people that shot Wesley could've been the ones who took my memories away. They could have been the ones that took Ethan away." 

Grayson is thinking about it. Silence fills the car as he continues to drive. 

"That is one way to look at it," he says to me quietly. I know this isn't an easy subject to speak about. It is his twin brother that was taken away from him. "So what are you trying to say?" 

"We aren't going to be safe. Someone or a group of werewolves or even people wants to hurt us. I don't know what there motive is or why they are targeting us, but they are. We have to be ready to fight Grayson." I say back realizing that what I said is the absolute truth.

"You should get some rest," Grayson says to me.

"No it's okay, you can rest, I can continue to drive."

"I would let you drive, but I am pretty sure you wouldn't know where to go," he says to me. "It would be better if you could sleep. Maybe you could connect with Ethan while I drive."

"Okay," I say.

I lower my seat into a laying position. I turn so I can face the door and close my eyes. I let myself drift away, trying to connect with Ethan.