Chapter Sixteen: Aftermath

Liam set Eliza in the back seat of Harry’s Rapide and told her everything would be alright. He closed the door as he saw Niall, Sabella, and Harry stumble out of the house. Sabella was holding onto both guys for support as Harry nodded to Liam. Liam would be driving the Audi.

“Sabella, baby, this was not your fault. You gave us a fighting chance.” Niall whispered as he opened the passenger door to the Aston Martin.

            Sabella nodded just before she titled her face up to look at Niall. He looked pained, raw, and angry. Niall sought to comfort his lover with a kiss so he encircled her waist with his arm to draw her body against his as he tenderly kissed her lips. Sabella kissed him back in an attempt to heal his wounds and comfort him. She broke the kiss to kiss his cheek before she told him to go with Liam. Niall nodded as he let go of her to stride toward the Audi.

“We’ll be following Liam to Mary’s in order to drop Eliza off and then we’re heading to my house.” Harry’s gruff voice rang out in the car.

“Okay.” Sabella responded quietly sagging into the plush seat from exhaustion.

“We’ll be okay, Sabella. We will get through this. Death is directly tied to our lifestyle. We never meant for this to happen but with this we will be stronger, more careful, and maybe soon we can leave this life behind us.” Harry whispered as he sped down the street to follow Liam.

            Eliza made a choking sound that caused Sabella to look back at the girl. This innocent girl had witnessed the unimaginable tonight. Sabella’s heart bled for her and for Niall. Sabella knew this weight would crush Niall. He had no issue killing those that needed to be killed but had always avoided involving innocents in deals. These next few weeks would be long, broken, and painful.

“We’re almost to Mary’s, Eliza.” Sabella softly informed the said raven haired female.

“Thank you.” Eliza murmured back looking at Sabella with lifeless eyes.

            Harry parked the car behind Liam and exited swiftly. He watched as Sabella helped Eliza out and felt his heart constrict. This wasn’t supposed to happen. The plan had been sound but no one can plan other’s actions and that had led to the situation at hand. He turned his gaze from the girls to Liam and Niall walking to the front door. Sucking in a deep gulp of air he followed them.

            Sabella closed the door and helped the broken girl down the path towards the front door where Liam, Harry, and Niall stood. Liam hadn’t yet alerted Mary that they had arrived which was to be expected since he wanted to delay the inevitable. No one wants to tell their girlfriend that he couldn’t save her best friend’s life.

            Once Sabella and Eliza were next to the group of young men Liam rang the doorbell. Within a few moments Mary opened and ushered them in without recognizing that someone was missing. Everyone followed Mary into her living room. Niall stood near the long sofa while Sabella sat with Eliza, Harry stood on the opposite side of the sofa, and Liam sat on the love seat with Mary.

“Where’s Lilliana?” Mary finally questioned as she took in the group.

“Mary, she didn’t make it.” Liam began slowly.

“What do you mean she didn’t make it? Is she in the hospital because of being tortured!” Mary shrieked as panic set in.

“No, love, she was killed before we could leave the house. We did all we could but they out maneuvered us even when Sabella got her away from gun point. She was shot in a major artery and died in minutes. I am so sorry, Mary. We never meant for this to happen.” Liam explained in an anguish filled voice.