Chapter 13

Middle School Things

I walked into my school, looking around. Nothing was different, honestly. It was the same school. The same school that I loved.  I assumed the students were in class since the halls were deserted except for the occasional teacher. The office was in the same place, so I headed there. Leaning on the desk, I said "(y/n) (l/n)." The secretary wrote my name in and gave me the visitor pass I remembered on old visitors that came to the school. "Where's Ms.Sanders?" I asked.

"She's in her office," the secretary, Hanna, said.

"Alright, thank you Hanna," I smiled, not knowing if she remembered me. She smiled back and nodded. I went to Ms.Sanders' office and knocked on the door frame. "(y/n)! How great it is to see you again!"  I smiled.

"It's great to see you again, too, Ms. Sanders." She gave me a quick hug.  We made small talk on the way to the auditorium.  I planned to make this a assembly people cared about, not something cliche that everyone always complained about.  No students were in the gym yet, but I continued to walk on stage.  I never knew what it felt like to be the only person standing on the stage, looking down at a crowd.  "Should I make the announcement to come down?" Ms. Sanders asked.

"Go ahead."  She left the room and I carefully sat on the top stair on the risers.  So many memories were here, good and bad.  I still remembered the spot I sat in each time we came here.  Every grade had one assigned area and I always sat in the same spot each year.  I could hear the principal making the announcement, so familiar, telling the first floor to come to the auditorium first. I was pretty sure I was supposed to just wait, so I did. Students filed in and I sat on the steps on the stage.

Once everyone was seated, Ms. Sanders gave her introduction. It was the same thing, be a good audience and the small welcome to me before the microphone was handed over. I smiled and took it in my left hand since I make a lot of movements with my right and stood up. "Wow. This place has changed a lot." Some students giggled.

I scanned the crowd. I saw some confident straight couples and shy, anything else, couples. Confident cisgender people and frightened transgender people, which was very few.  Some people looked like nerds, but others looked, I hate to say it, kind of slutty, but I'm not judging. I suddenly knew what I wanted to talk about at some point, but not immediately. "So, how many of you know me?" A lot of students raised their hands.  "Wow this is honestly more than I thought I would see." Some students laughed.

"So I assume you know what recently happened to me?" They nodded.  "Yeah welcome back me! Back to reality and back to school!" I chuckled.  "Anyways, I'm really here just to talk to you guys, so who wants to ask me a question?" A handful of students shot their hands up.  "You," I called.

"How's Max?" He said.  I let out a small laugh.

"He's just fine, thank you." I called on another student.

"Do you plan to have kids?" 

"Uh maybe in the future yes."

"How many?"

"One maybe two.  Genders don't matter to me."  I picked another girl.

"What's your opinion on transgenders?" A lot of students turned in shock. Ms. Sanders started to walk over to the front of the gym.

"No Ms. Sanders I want to answer this one." I walked further up to the front of the stage. "I think they have a right to be who they want to be.  Gay, lesbian, bisexual, agender, gender fluid, trans, they are all people and I respect them.  I can tell some of you out here are different and I respect you.  I believe the rest of you should, too.  You know what I want you guys to be honest with you, how many of you are bullied here?" The teachers looked so shocked, but a few students hesitantly rose their hands.  Slowly more of them did, gradually adding too many students then I believed there should be.  Even one person is one too many.

"You all.  I love you.  I think you deserve to be like everyone else and I believe that you are perfect just how you are.  You are beautiful, you are loved.  If you have depression, anxiety, or any disorder, don't be ashamed.  Tell someone.  Get help for yourself.  You deserve a life the way you want it to be, not how others shape it for you."

––––––––––––––

Hey! Guess whose still alive! Yeah this chapter is kinda dumb (not really I mean it's repetitive to what's been said before) but I had planned this before so I just did it.  I need to come up with ideas honestly.  I get serious writers block too easily, but I will try!